• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions of the Roland HiFi Jet and/or Mutoh Falcon?

SignPros

I used the Search and found a couple of threads from 2007 about the HiFi Jet, but nothing more recent than that, so I thought it best to post up.

I've been in business for myself for only about 6 months, but worked in another shop for about three years. In that shop, we had a JV3 and then a GS6000, so I have some experience with both of those. Both are out of my price range at this point though.

I've been subbing out my printing for banners and wraps and such, but the lead time is becoming an issue (usually at least 4 days), so I've got to look at buying something myself. I keep a regular eye on eBay and Craigslist for solvent or eco-sol printers, and have noticed that the HiFi Jets and Mutoh Falcons seems to go what I would call 'cheap' (in the $2,500-3,000 range). In fact, a 54" HiFi recently went through eBay with pre and post heaters and converted to eco-sol for something around $2700, IIRC. I know that neither of these prints lightning fast, but that's not much of an issue for me at this point. I'm looking for something to get me going for the next year or so until I can build some cash to buy something like a JV3 or higher-end Roland. I plan on using a Big Squeegee for laminating and have a line on a Summa S120 for cutting decals when I need. The big push came recently when I landed a full wrap job on a large medical van coming in the next few weeks. If I print it myself instead of jobbing it out, I'll save almost $1,500 on the materials (calculated with 3M ControlTac and laminate and rough ink cost). So this one job would pay for a large part of a printer. I have a friend that helps me that's well qualified to help with the install.

I'm trying to determine if either one of these printers is a viable option in today's market in terms of ink costs, reliability, etc. I know, I know..."just spend $10,000 and buy this machine" or "that machine" but I don't have that kind of coin, and I'm trying to keep my debt absolutely as low as possible.

So, opinions? Thanks ahead of time for your insight.

Or if there's a printer outside of the Mimaki-Mutoh-Roland field that is a good option, let me know.

tomence

There were 2-3 Mimakis JV3SP that sold for around $4000 in very good condition. So my advice to you is look around fot the JV3 their prices are so low that is not worth buying HI FI JET or FALCON, i had both. I liked the Roland a lot better than the Falcon, easier to maintance, and change parts than the Falcon. Even if you give me tha Falcon for free i won't take it. The Roland is way better built printer so if you have to buy one of this buy the Roland.

SignPros

Not to sound totally dense (and I did a search both here and Google) but what's the difference between the JV3 and JV3SP? And can the Mimaki be converted to eco-sol?

tomence

Mimaki jv3 is already a solvent printer. The difference between jv3 and jv3spii is as far as i know the jv3 has 3 heads and sp has 4 print heads and also jv3 is 6 color sp2 is 8 color printer. So if i am wrong please somebody correct me.

artbot

the sp can print cmyklmlc ww (white printing silmutaneously with color) or double cmyk (very fast).

i do a lot of white and clear, but never silmutaneously. i'd say get the sp if you need speed (a bit more expensive used). and just do the s if you need rock bottom priced used equipment. from what i've seen used. the sp's are much better condition.

i bought my jv3 160sp (cherry) over a year ago for $5500.