• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 3551RA

mgieske

Anyone have Oracal 3551RA wraps that have been on the street and some sort of track record of reliability? We're typically a 3MIJ180Cv3 shop here, but it would be nice to have a lower price step down price for short term cube vans and cargo van wraps. I assume everyone is keeping this stuff away from bumpers.

Letterbox Mike

3551 is fine for trailers and any flat surface as long as you can remove the rivets. It tents on rivets in no time. I know they say it's fine for mild-moderately curved surfaces but I wouldn't trust it on any compound curve, no matter how mild. The price isn't that much different than 180C, I wouldn't take the risk.

HulkSmash

It'll work for sides of vans, but i wouldnt use it for any contours at all, rivets, or any corners.

MikePro

the proper Oracal version of 3M 180Cv3 is Oracal 3951 RA.

3551RA is great, but for flat surfaces and simple curves only.

Aklaim

3551 is fine for trailers and any flat surface as long as you can remove the rivets. It tents on rivets in no time. I know they say it's fine for mild-moderately curved surfaces but I wouldn't trust it on any compound curve, no matter how mild. The price isn't that much different than 180C, I wouldn't take the risk.

+1 It doesn't just tent... it TENTS like it has a rivet allergy.

3951GRA is the cast vinyl meant for full wraps. My company car is fully wrapped in it. It's been installed for 9 months and I have had no issues.

mgieske

Thx for the input. Just was tempted by a supplier at 62 cents per square including 290 lam (cheap material for a few cheap clients.) Surely flat sides of vans will have channels, etc. I think I'll pass and avoid cheap materials and cheap clients.

Richard G

We have used 3551 for a long time and we use it usually for installations as shown below. We have some of this out there for 3 years now without any trouble. we also use Arlons 3450 and have had matching results. Always using matching laminations as well. the only place we won't warranty is on the hoods. Most of the work we do is for the trades and they turn there vehicles around every 3 years. When you have a fleet of 80 plus vehicles this will make a difference.
DSCN5062.jpg

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

Jace161

I only use 3951 if I have to wrap something like a VW bug or something with medium-large rivets/buttons. 3551 RA works fine if you use a lot of heat, take an extra day to check it over and make sure nothing peels up - but it shouldnt if its prepped correctly. I just used 3551 on both our company trucks and trailer which probably wont change for another 2 years

cdiesel

3551 will not conform *correctly* to complex curves. Period.

Can it be made to look like it works? Yes. Will it look good for a few hours? Yes. Will it last around complex cuves? No.

Hell, Oracal tells you this.

JoshLoring

Heading to New Orleans with a new version of Oracal nobody has seen yet i just printed on. It's a new cast that will blow the socks off others pricing and has a new faster, easier install. I'll keep you all updated after the show Weds

HulkSmash

Heading to New Orleans with a new version of Oracal nobody has seen yet i just printed on. It's a new cast that will blow the socks off others pricing and has a new faster, easier install. I'll keep you all updated after the show Weds

Ive seen and used it. It has a lower tac. Awesome stuff. Curious what the price point will be at.

cdiesel

Also very happy with the new Oracal stuff. Hopefully they'll actually release it soon--I've been bugging Bucky for a while now.

Mosh

3551RA, wrapped one of my shop trucks with it 5 years ago, it still looks good today. We use it all the time.

JoshLoring

Look up Oracal 3751RA. Came back from the show and already wrapped a shop truck in it. Low tack and super fast install. Prints crystal clear and looks great!
Price point similar to calandered vinyls but it an 8 year cast.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Josh
who has the best pricing on the 3751?
Quick online check shows it priced about the same as 180cv3.

thanks
wayne k
guam usa

JoshLoring

We already loved 3951. We LOVE 3751. It's all new, vendors have to get pricing still. You should be in the range of 3551 which is cheaper then 180. If not bug your vendor. :)

signswi

So what's the difference between that and 3951GRA? Why would you pay for for the 3951GRA (which we love) when 3751GRA is cheaper? Can't see much difference from the specs other than the 3751GRA is .25mil thicker.

signswi

Yeah I saw low tac mentioned but 3951GRA is repositional as well, good to know the 37 is even less aggressive. No idea if that's something our installers want or not but I'll ask, thanks for the heads up.