• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

our smart meter has arrived

binki

Well, two months ago the place next door got a smart meter but we didn't and our panels are just a few feet apart.

So I go in early on Friday and get a little work done and leave. Between then and when we open we have a new meter. Of course when they pulled the old meter we lost power and that shut off our internet service, credit card machine and computer. I guess I need to get a ups for these things.

So the guy next door tells me the electric company raised his rate based on two months of service. Hmm, seems strange. I asked to see his bills since he got the meter. We will see.

I have mixed feelings about these. For one they can now fire the meter reader. Actually when they are done they can fire 2000 of them just for our electric company (I used to work there and have pretty good knowledge of how the place works).

I am pissed about them charging 2% extra on our electric bills for years now to pay for this program. After all, they are going to get rid of 2000 positions. Why not pay for it like that?

I do like that the reads will be accurate and not subject to someone looking at the meter. It is a pita to get a wrong read. But on the other hand they will now know exactly when we use what for our usage and California is very keen to try to change behavior by charging more money for it. Here is an example: Build carpool lanes (HOV everywhere else). When nobody uses them for carpooling then allow hybrid vehicles in them. When that doesn't work covert the lanes to toll lanes at $1.40/mile. We will see if that will work, probably not.

Anyway, we will see just how accurate they become. I first summer bill on the meter was 50% higher than our highest bill in the last two years. We are working more hours so that could account for it.

And, we already have the highest electric rates in the country here, up to 50c/kwh on residential if you use too much electricity.

royster13

So I should not complain about the 9.090 we pay here?....For "Off Peak" the rate is 4.939....Smart Meters will be here soon....

WildWestDesigns

Unfortunately, from an economics standpoint thats what you do. You hit people with their pockbook. Even though we all like to think there is more to it, but in the end it's where those dollars and cents are going that really changes our behavior.

CES020

There's a wonderful example of that here with water. They are changing water meters to be automatic. One month our water bill doubled. We called, they sent someone over to look at it. He says it's all fine. We ask him how a place with 2 sinks and 2 toilets could possibly use the amount of gallons that we were billed for. He shrugs his shoulders and said "I don't know what to tell to, the meter is correct". There's really no one to talk to unless you want to take the day off and go fight city hall.

So then I notice my own personal bill spike up one month too. Humm...seems like that's when they put the meter in.

The guy that sits across from me has the same thing happen. Seems when they change the meter out, they are doing something to cause it to double the bill. Not sure what, but everyone we talk to has the same thing happen.

Here's the kicker. Many residential neighborhoods that allows irrigation systems bill that water at a lower rate because of it's source. Guess what that rate is based on? Your usage. So what's happening is that spike everyone is seeing is setting the new, higher price for everyone's irrigation water. So not only did everyone get that one month spike, but now their irrigation water bill is almost doubling because it was calculated when the meter was changed.

You can look at everyone's usage and it will be something like this :

22 (meter changed this month- billing for irrigation for entire year calculated from this number)

So after the spike, everyone's comes right back to where it was. It's happened to a lot of people here, but there seems to be no way to get resolution.