• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outdoor Durability

garisimo

Hi all -- this seems like the best forum to post my questions, as we are in the initial stages of evaluating a flatbed for our business, although it's relevant for any method of sign printing. Many of the available flatbed printers offer 2 year outdoor inks (unlaminated). Can anyone point me to data suggesting outdoor durability if you do laminate with a UV guard film/spray, or reverse print on UV guard polycarbonate? Two years is more than adequate for coro signs and event graphics, but seems short when selling speed limit signs or wall signs.... Ideally, I would like to offer a 5 to 7 year durability for all prints (disregarding substrate atrophy such as with corrugated plastic). Thanks!

-gary

Jim Doggett

Hi all -- this seems like the best forum to post my questions, as we are in the initial stages of evaluating a flatbed for our business, although it's relevant for any method of sign printing. Many of the available flatbed printers offer 2 year outdoor inks (unlaminated). Can anyone point me to data suggesting outdoor durability if you do laminate with a UV guard film/spray, or reverse print on UV guard polycarbonate? Two years is more than adequate for coro signs and event graphics, but seems short when selling speed limit signs or wall signs.... Ideally, I would like to offer a 5 to 7 year durability for all prints (disregarding substrate atrophy such as with corrugated plastic). Thanks!

-gary

For 5-7 years, or what most would advise for everything, laminate. Real deal lamination. Liquid lams or okay for adding a little protection, but not what you need, IMO.

Maybe other have had different experience. Anyone?

Best!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
5 to 7 year durability is not in the scope of flatbed printing, much less regular inkjet... solvent or mild solvent.

Screen printing, thermal printing, die-cut, hand-painted and sublimation are about the only methods suited for your needs.

Mosh

Speed limit signs need to last longer than 5-7 years...you must be a vinyl shop.....

garisimo

Well, we screen print, vinyl cut, and thermal transfer (Summa).... just looking for some bigger options.

-g-

benjakes

Reverse Print Second Surface will be warranted for 5 years. It will last.

All others are speculative. Dave (CET COLOR) tells me his ink manufacture will warrant for 5 years with a laminate, and he has done weatheromiter testing, but once you add pollution (CO2) who knows?

Don't you love honesty?!

garisimo

"Reverse Print Second Surface will be warranted for 5 years. It will last."

Warranted by who? CET or another printer?

And I haven't been able to source a laminate willing to go much past 3 years; can you tell me which laminate Dave recommends?

Thanks!!

-g-

benjakes

Garisimo,

I will send you a document which will illustarate why reverse print poly or glass last much longer. The amount of uv light which attacks the ink is drastically reduced.

It is warranted by CET's ink manufacture (SunJet).

Laminates will get you there ONLY in certain environments. I am fine in buffalo.:Big Laugh