• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

outlook 2013... how does this stupid thing work

Drip Dry

Recently upgraded to Outlook 2013 and moved from a pop 3 account to imap. It's working fine but I'm having major problems on setting it up the way I want it to look and how I use it.
So, the question is... is there a clear readable book that can help me or maybe is there some forum that is for outlook.

I'm tired of feeling stupid

S

spmracing

Depending on what you want to do i can help.. I used manage outlook 2013 for thousands unfortunately.

letterman7

Don't be. Since it's all cloud based now, nothing resident will be on your computer, so make sure you back up to a disc all your contacts and any emails you want to save. I hate it, personally, it's just something you have to get used to as it upgrades.

iSign

get a microsoft exchange account to work with that.

works great on all my office workstations, and MacBook & MacMini at home, as well as iPad and iPhone...

and my very cheap hosting account gives me free technical support setting it up!

Ditchmiester

works great on all my office workstations, and MacBook & MacMini at home, as well as iPad and iPhone...

and my very cheap hosting account gives me free technical support setting it up!

+1 This is the best option for working with Outlook 2013. We are switching everyone from IMAP to Exchange accounts at our company.

+1 This is the best option for working with Outlook 2013. We are switching everyone from IMAP to Exchange accounts at our company.

Switch to google. Far superior tech support and programming. Google just hired 10 of the worlds best hackers to help redo their systems. There new rollouts are way better then most anything out there.

CanuckSigns

what dmoes "switch to google" mean?

You can't mean use a gmail addy, instead of xxx@Islandsign.com ??

No, use google apps for business, it's $5/month per user, you can still use your existing email addresses, but it's all hosted on google's servers, no need to maintain anything. Plus there are a ton of cool features, like shared calendars etc.

Drip Dry

My original problem was that with a POP 3 account, anytime I sent or received mail, it stayed on that machine.
If I sent or received something from a different computer, it stayed local to that machine.
So, I switched to Imap. This solves the email on all computers problem but, the problem I have now is my contacts are not seen across all computers.
Some searching talks about "Global contact lists" Is this why I should have an Exchange account ?

If I switch to exchange, do I not use the imap protocol anymore? Does all my email reside on the exchange server instead of my hosts server? If I switched to exchange, do I have to start over again and repopulate all my machines?

What are the advantages of having an exchange account compared to IMAP

Ditchmiester

If I switch to exchange, do I not use the imap protocol anymore? Does all my email reside on the exchange server instead of my hosts server? If I switched to exchange, do I have to start over again and repopulate all my machines? What are the advantages of having an exchange account compared to IMAP

Who is your mail provider? They usually offer both standard mail boxes and Exchange accounts. The advantage with most exchange accounts is that they have much larger storage capacity, they sync more than just mail including contacts, notes and calendars.

Your provider should be able to migrate your account for you.