• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint Mask Option A,B or C?

Sign_Boy

Hey all,
I have to order some paint mask.
I've read good things about Oramask on here, but I'm still not sure what series to go with.
I'll be using it on MDO, I already have my first color down - oil based bulletin.
Should I go with 810 - 811 or 813?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:supersmilie:

Pat Whatley

810, more flexible and better results for signs.

811 is too stiff, it's more like an old school stencil material. 813 (I think, never used it) is the transparent stuff with really low tack. It's more like Frisket used in airbrushing.

signmeup

I tried 810s and it won't stick to much. Maybe glass if you're careful. Get samples before you buy a roll.

CES020

I'm using 810 on 3 jobs right now (the paint is drying). It works okay. My issue with it is that I can't get it off the release liner for crap. I've tried every high tack tape I have in the shop and it still wants to stick to the liner. I know they recommend their own tape for that. I guess I'm going to have to break down and get it because my use of it is for smaller text and objects, so everything I do is a pain when it comes to getting it off the liner.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have our best results for paper frisket. Cleanest lines and oh so easy to put down and pull off when you're done.

Jillbeans

The 810 is the only mask I can stand.
Seems to work less well in summertime though and always makes a ghost on the substrate.
Love....Jill

signmeup

I'm not sure if 810 is the same as 810s but 810s won't stick to latex paint and I only use latex paint so it's useless to me. I use some no-name stuff from tct graphics in Toronto.

Jillbeans

Aha! I only use oil based for backgrounds, it sticks like the proverbial sh!t to a blanket.
I doubt it would work well with latex at all.

S'N'S

I have used Metamark E series (Blue) paint mask and found it easy to cut, weed and apply. Last job was flames on a car, worked very well but you need to rub all the cut edges down well to stop paint bleeding under. (goes for any mask I've used)

Sign_Boy

I went with 810 and was happy with the results - easy to cut and weed, went down and came up no problems.

Thanks for the info all.