• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint or flood with vinyl?

Salmoneye

I was getting ready to do a 4'x 8' sign on Alu polymetal. I was going to order a gloss red sheet and decorate with cut vinyl. Now the customer wants a 5' x 10' double sided and I can't order the sheet pre-painted. The customer doesn't want wood. Should I order a 5' x 10' of poly-metal and paint it with a cup gun or should I flood the sheet with (2) 30" pieces of red 751? I am not very experienced with a cup gun but am not really afraid of it either. I do not however have an indoor space to shoot the panel so I would have to do it outside and might get some contaminates before it dried. If I flood that large of an area with vinyl will it hold up long term with the expansion and contraction? If I do paint what is the recommended prep for poly-metal before application of an oil based top-coat?

Sorry for the long post but any info is appreciated.

dwt

I have absolutely no faith in 751 red in the southern sun but if that is what his budget constrains him to so be it.

As for painting, if you don't have a booth and don't want to gas out your neighbors roll it out with an eight inch foam roller. Just be sure to wipe it down good with thinner to degrease before you start(the substrait). Maybe a drop of fish eye remover in the paint for good measure.

Vinyl is obviously the faster solution so be sure to bill accordingly for the extra 2.5 hours plus the materials and aggravation, or use 951 and a liquid lam(clear coat).

Last edited:

petrosgraphics

vinyl is easier, just a good h/p vinyl will work... make sure you have a slight overlap where the vinyl comes together...1/4" should do.....

paint is ok, just time consuming, with a chromatic red and a roller it will take at least 2 coats for good coverage...... drying time, 2 coats of paint, dealing
with a wet sheet that big, and hoping you do not remove some of the paint
with the masking........... vinyl is the way to go......

andy

Spraying a large surface area like this is more difficult than it appears... unless you have very good quality spray equipment and experience with a gun it's going to be very hard to get a professional looking effect. The most effective paints for ali comp are cellulose or 2 pack automotive paints, if you go down the 2K route you'll have to spray everything twice, once for the colour once for the clear coat.

Covering in vinyl is your easiest option, if you have access to Hexis vinyl you'll find they sell coloured film at 1530 or 1540mm wide... you ali comp sheet is 1525mm so you can do each side in one section without a seam.

Salmoneye

Sounds like some mixed opinions. I am pretty handy with a weenie roller so I could roll it out (I personally hate foam rollers). Some mentioned spraying over vinyl with liquid lam. Is there a product that can be purchased from a paint store that works well for spraying over vinyl?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i'd probably roller coat it since i'm not comfy with spraying....but i wouldn't do vinyl on something that size.....if you can't do it...find someone close that can...

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If I do paint what is the recommended prep for poly-metal before application of an oil based top-coat?
Scuff it with a Scotch-brite pad to knock the gloss down and give the substrate some tooth. Wipe it down a few times with alcohol before painting.

Craig Sjoquist

DWT is right with red fades without a UV clear coat on it this what I've now started doing with good paying customers is clear coat with Ronans Aquacoat Uv Aquathane on my painted works ....AND by the way will out last vinyl by years ..dark vinyls in hot sun all day go nuts with curling all over shortly, some times less then 3 years

artsnletters

i'd spray it (or have it sprayed) with either a single stage urethane red OR a base coat/clear coat. One-shot done with a roller can mimic a nice sprayed panel IF you know how to work it and get the bubbles out and get it to flow out. Problem with air dry enamels like one shot is they will go away much faster than they used to. If this is to be a long term sign use the best HP vinyl put down on top of a urethane SS red, letting the panel out gas a couple of days before vinyl application. It'll last 5-8 (maybe 10) years no problem depending on exposure. Just explain the additional cost to the customer vs. the long term benefits. I've done a ton of alumapanels this way.
Tim

AUTO-FX

take em to maaco. ambassador special. ask for base coat clearcoat urethane. you will not regret the expense. or your customer wont, anyway. i was former bodyshop manager and we did signs for a local company all the time. they wouldnt do it any other way. not worth the agg. anything you roller paint red is gonna fade or turn, period, especially on aluminum. just explain it to the customer and dont forget to mark up whatever the bodyshop charges ya.