• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting Expanded PVC edges

Taylor S

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I've been making signs for a little over a year now, and I've run into this issue a couple of times in my tenure here.

the situation:
We have routed letters out of expanded 12mm (1/2" PVC) for an exterior sign, we're going to laminate the PVC with a gold face and want the sides to "match" the face, we just need to paint the sides to give the illusion that the letters are all the same color.

But painting the edge of the expanded PVC is difficult because it's so porous, just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting the edges painted without all the fuss.

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Basically a few coats will do it. Eventually, the paint will stop seeping in and form a shell on which you can put a top coat or two.

visual800

we always prime pvc with 2 part epoxy and spray latex on the. on the edges it takes a couple coats and the edges never look as good as face but it suffices

iam808

Seal the cells by using clear PVC cement and then paint. Bonus, it gives the edges a smoother finish.

spectrum maine

i spray most of my pvc w/ matthews paint. most of the time i brush 1 coat on the edges, let dry, sand, then spray the letter. same w/ krylon fusion. you cant spray enough on the edges w/out getting too much paint on the face