• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting Precision board

seattle

Ok, Has anyone been succesfull priming precision board with a brush? I tried using the fsc-88 and it basically filled all corners so now it looks like crap.

It says right on the instructions you can use a brush, but the quality is .
real bad.

I would like to not have to use the paint booth. That is what I am going for.

iSign

got pics?

Isn't the fsc-88 a texturing primer, meant to be very thick & create it's own texture, rather then settle into the pores & result in a smooth finish?

seattle

I dont know. Its the onyl primer recommended by precision board.

It is thick and yes it creates a nice brush stroke texture. ( <--- sarcasm..)

I dont know about using a diff kind. I never had. I would just thin this stuff way down and spray.

Also this sign I am playing with is pretty small so I was expecting to loose some detail, but this stuff just gobs everywhere.

Do you know a type that settles and results in smooth finish while being brushed?

Si Allen

Why not thin it to a nice brushing consistency?

Also when you brush it on, clean out the corners with an almost dry brush.

Old Paint is gonna come in here and beat on ya for not being able to use a brush!

:Oops:

imaSIGNr

Precision board is HDU, so why not use "high builld primer" that is made for this product ? It still wants to not lay flat and if you thin it then you're not allowing it to fill the pores as well .
I've always rolled it ( fast ) then leave it alone.

seattle

Yea I'm not the best brusher in the world !! I did clean out the corners as best I could but the results were still poor.

I would have rolled it, but it was too 3d to work like that.

I think maybe I need to take a painting class..

seattle

Man, the instructions say Do not sand between coats. Its underlined even... (Why is it that instruction ALWAYS suck??)

But it does say use a med. stiff brush wet with water to smooth out relief cuts and vertical sides. I think I better practice that.

Ill give it a shot.

Thanks

iSign

instructions are never a substitute for experience...

...but signs101 almost is :Big Laugh

3dsignco

Automotive High Build primer is the only way to go. Thin 25% to 50% depends if spraying or brushing. Brushing is tough as the primer dries extremely fast.

Second for smaller stuff is the spray bomb Sherman Williams Pro block.