• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

painting wooden sign posts

AUTO-FX

i musta missed the realty part. yeah, your right, dont paint 'em at all for those cheap a*s sob's. in fact, make the whole thing outta recycled press board.

Marlene

i musta missed the realty part. yeah, your right, dont paint 'em at all for those cheap a*s sob's. in fact, make the whole thing outta recycled press board.

are they paying just as much as anyone else pays for a sign? if so, do it right. who cares what they do with it or who they are if they are paying full price for a sign, then they deserve a good sign that is well made including the posts.

SignManiac

I let mine cure in an oven for 36 hours at 200 degrees F. Once dry, I run through a thickness planer taking off .003 thousandths of an inch until all four sides are precisely the same thickness.

Then I sand smooth with 200 grit and then 400 grit. Follow up with three light coats of acrylic primer sanding in between each coat. Do the same with three finish coats of gloss latex. You should have a finish that you can see your reflection in. I like to custom carve our name into each posts. You should easily be able to sell the post for $200 each. I guarantee they will look better than the sign.

Mosh

Realty guys are always wanting it the cheapest way that can be done.
If you want the biz from them you have to play their little games.

Si Allen

Piece of advice that I got from my son in law when dealing with pressure treated wood.

1. Sort term, you can use regular nails/screws.

2. Medium term, use galvanized nails/screws.

3. Long term ... ONLY stainless steel nails/screws!

Since they outlawed arsenic as a preservative, and subsituted a copper compound ... galvanic corrosion.

Just another "gift" from the EPA and OSHA!n occurs. It doesn't take long for regular nails/screw to dissolve int rust and your project falls apart!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

AUTO-FX

did ya ever look at all the coated screws and junk they came out with for the new wood treatment? phillips drives, square drives, torx drives,green,tan,gray, a vast array. the epa inadvertantly created a whole new market. and i'll bet that the production of all that coated stuff creates its OWN hazardous waste material that needs mitigation - just what they were trying to reduce.