• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pan face - acrylic - bag???

Sign_Boy

I'll probably get torn a new one for asking these questions, but here goes.

I have a potential customer that has existing signs (Pan Faces)

Can these faces be replaced with acrylic or pollycarb? If so is it a PITA?
They also inquired about a bag (cover) for the sign - I noticed someone here mentioned creative banner makes them. Oh the sign is probably 12 - 18' up.
Has anyone used them and if so how long do they last? I tried going to their site but it wasn't working....
Edit - Now the site works

Anyway, thanks for any info you can provide.

skyhigh

my first question is.....how large are the faces themselves?

As for the bags, I have seen some up for 3 years, but I wouldn't count on that.

Sign_Boy

my first question is.....how large are the faces themselves?

As for the bags, I have seen some up for 3 years, but I wouldn't count on that.

The faces are:

On the pole: 49 3/8" x 61 3/8" Qty 2
On the Bld: 48" x 53" Qty 1

Thanks skyhigh

Marlene

how thick is the sign cabinet? usually cabinets with pan faces are thinner than flat faced cabinets. the thinner cabinet with flat faces can work but the bulbs will be closer to the faces so you'll see the bulbs.

Sign_Boy

Marlene -
The one on the Bld. has some depth, but the one on the pole not so much.
Thanks for pointing that out.

AUTO-FX

i only ever did a few face replacements, but one was a pan face/thin cab, and the customer cheaped out and wouldnt go for the expense of light diffusion film for the back of the new flat face. looks like crap - you can easily see the bulbs.

J Hill Designs

read in sign craft or signsofthetimes a while back that masking tape over the lamps will help with cheap customers that want a flat face in a cab built for pans

Sign_Boy

Hey all - Thanks for the info.
It looks like I'll be passing this off to a buddies shop that is more equip to handle this type of job.
It's the right thing to do!!

Thanks again

skyhigh

Well that was quick....came back to see if you had responded, only to find you passed on the job.

Anyways, for future reference, flat faces (even if you have enough depth), look like crap. They usually bow in the center. About the only time I may use a flat face is something like a 2x10, and use the thicker material.

Sign_Boy

Well that was quick....came back to see if you had responded, only to find you passed on the job.

Anyways, for future reference, flat faces (even if you have enough depth), look like crap. They usually bow in the center. About the only time I may use a flat face is something like a 2x10, and use the thicker material.

Sure was :thumb:
I figure that the job should be done right - not that I wouldn't do it right, but the other shop has all the equipment to do it ie. a bucket truck and they deal with electric I don't nor will I.