• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pan face vinyl bubbling 2 months later

Stacey K

I like making signs
What did I do wrong? I don't remember exactly but I don't think I wet applied this Burgandy vinyl. Only the burgandy is bubbling not the gray. The pan face sat here in my office for a couple weeks before I opened it and lettered it so I don't think it was outgassing? I don't remember if there was removable plastic coating on it or not. I know I cleaned it with alcohol really well.

Maybe I wet applied it and I shouldn't have?

That's not rain...it's bubbles.

Attachments

• e2125ad4-e0e5-470f-be1a-3b104f666ade.jpg
    e2125ad4-e0e5-470f-be1a-3b104f666ade.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 146

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can't be nice on this one...... looks like bad squeegee technique. I trust it is translucent vinyl ?? Would've done it wet and then made sure all the wetness was gone before stopping.

I you poke a bubble with a straight pin, what comes out ??

Do you mean embossed or pan-face ??

Stacey K

I like making signs
Can't be nice on this one...... looks like bad squeegee technique. I trust it is translucent vinyl ?? Would've done it wet and then made sure all the wetness was gone before stopping.

I you poke a bubble with a straight pin, what comes out ??

Do you mean embossed or pan-face ??
It's just regular 3M vinyl, not translucent. I didn't poke it, I will run back down the road and poke one...

Darnit. I thought I was better than that. Is it more important on the pan face than say a vehicle to really squeegee it down? First time I had a problem but I don't do these often.

1727713951468.png

Stacey K

I like making signs
So basically, I used the wrong vinyl and I should be squeegeeing a lot heavier? I used 751, can I try that again if I use a flat surface and squeegee harder?

Signheremd you were right, probably put it on with light pressure.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Depends on what the customer wants. If this is backlit, then any opaque vinyl you use will basically show up as a silhouette when the lights go on, inside the box.... regardless of cast or calendared. If the customer wants his maroon to show up maroon at nighttime and the greys to be grey, you need to use translucent vinyls. Put it on wet and squeegee the livin' crap out of it. Make sure ALL the bubbles are gone before you quit. A good trick is to wet the top real good and your squeegee will glide and remove the liquid underneath faster and much easier. Last, make sure your squeegee is straight and no divots in it.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
It is important to remove the protectant sheet for 48-72hrs before applying the vinyl. It’s hard to say that is the cause here. What signheremd said about the flexing seems likely to be the problem.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Why are you not using translucent vinyl on a backlit?

I would say it's the pan face being stubborn and completely rejecting the wrong vinyl.

Stacey K

I like making signs
It is important to remove the protectant sheet for 48-72hrs before applying the vinyl. It’s hard to say that is the cause here. What signheremd said about the flexing seems likely to be the problem.
Ok - this might be the problem. It came packaged in a wood coffin and I needed help removing and setting it on the worktable. I lettered it immediately after removing the sheet.

signheremd

Ok - this might be the problem. It came packaged in a wood coffin and I needed help removing and setting it on the worktable. I lettered it immediately after removing the sheet.
We pull the liners off as soon as we receive stuff like this so that it can off gas for 24-48 hours - missed suggesting that as the cause. All of your polycarbonate sign faces and roll stock acrylics need to be off gassed for 24-48 hours. I haven't seen a manufacturer spec for 72 hours, but I suppose there are some as I haven't used every brand. In the case of a pan face like this, we would remove part of the crate and pull the liner off the face and let it go for two or so days. We often put the crate back together to protect it getting it to the jobsite. Good suggestion Zendavor Signs, I think this is the primary root of the issue.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Thanks everyone, I guess I messed this one up on a couple of fronts. I talked to the customer and told him I likely didn't let it out gas long enough and will of course replace the vinyl. He was not upset in he least, just wanted it fixed at some point.