• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop users, check this out

phototec

Check out this video of the new Batman movie being filmed in downtown Pittsburgh, the new Batwing contraption is flying through the downtown streets, looks like there is going to be thousands of hours to remove the support vehicle from below the Batwing to make it appear to be flying, one frame at a time.

Check out all the fake snow, that's going to be a nightmare to work around in their CGI software, can you imagine trying to do that in Photoshop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4xDYJh8Os&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Here is the Batwing up close:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vi...Zg&annotation_id=annotation_750244&feature=iv

:omg2:

Attachments

• New Batwing being filmed in downtown Pittsburgh.jpg
    New Batwing being filmed in downtown Pittsburgh.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 102

artbot

i'd just leave the snow. it's part of the scene. they may use lots of close ups to get the reflections and do cgi for the full body low res stuff.

signswi

Don't actually have to manually photoshop out the struts and supports, with film software you can define objects that you want to remove and the software will live track and replace those objects throughout a scene.

phototec

i'd just leave the snow. it's part of the scene. they may use lots of close ups to get the reflections and do cgi for the full body low res stuff.

Yes, I know the snow is part of the scene, in some of the videos you can see the snow truck driving in front of the chase scene and putting the snow up in the air, this was being filmed last summer.

Anyway, my point was, you have to erase the support vehicle below the Batwing, erasing it in every frame and then add the street and buildings back into the frame and do that and leave the fake snow flakes, frame by frame.

I know in some movies like Avatar, they did use full size mock-ups in the studio only for templates, shadows, and reflections, and then make the true images in CGI, but there mock-ups were not very detailed (see photo below). However, they made other full size detailed mock-up and they were used in true HD photography.

This new Batwing is very highly detailed, and the top flying machine part does come off and is used for other close-up scenes on the ground (other video), so that is why I think they are going to use this footage, and CGI out the lower part of the transport vehicle. It's just going to be a daunting task.

Check out this video, you can see the Batwing removed from the transport vehicle, and now tethered and being pulled by cables, again, they will have to remove all the cables from each frame and build back any background image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nYiNKMwb3YI

First photo removing Batwing from trnsport vehicle.

2nd photo, with all the snow flakes in the scene, that is going to very hard to remove the trasport vehicle.

Third photo, Avatar mock-up used for CGI imaging, no details.

:omg:

Attachments

• Dark-Kinght-Rises-Batwing-570x427.jpg
    Dark-Kinght-Rises-Batwing-570x427.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 114
  • dark-knight-rises-batwing-set-photo-01.jpg
    dark-knight-rises-batwing-set-photo-01.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Avatar helicopter mock-up for CGI very little detail.jpg
    Avatar helicopter mock-up for CGI very little detail.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 105

phototec

Attachments

• the-batwing-dark-knight-rises-modified-510x382.jpg
    the-batwing-dark-knight-rises-modified-510x382.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 124
  • batwing1.jpg
    batwing1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 131
  • First images of Batwing flying through the streets of Pittsburgh with the transport vehicle digi.jpg
    First images of Batwing flying through the streets of Pittsburgh with the transport vehicle digi.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 60

S'N'S

Why the hell do movie companies make all their action films so dark, even in broad daylight it's hard to work out whats the hells going on. Very annoying.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Movie makers alter the brightness and color to make things more moody. Since most movies are now post-produced using "digital intermediate" methods the temptation is very strong on doing all sorts of wacky things with color and contrast.

In the 1990s and earlier, most movies were "color timed" using old school chemical-based methods. Inter-positive and inter-negative dupes were made of the original camera negative. These duplicate film strips had their color altered during the development process using colored gels and chemical processes such as bleach bypass. Those changes were applied globally to the entire image.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou was the first movie entirely produced using a digital intermediate process. The original camera negative was scanned at 2000 lines of resolution (significantly lower than the level of detail present on the film negative). The resulting scanned images were altered with digital-based tools. The "2K" standard is very common since it is very close to HDTV resolution. Movies can be post produced in 2K faster and cheaper than using better 4K, 6K and 8K resolution standards.

Christopher Nolan has resisted using digital intermediate methods on his movies because of the resolution drop. However, many theaters around the country have removed film projectors and converted to digital. The previous Batman movie, The Dark Knight used 4K and 8K resolution processes on its 35mm and IMAX originated footage.

More than 1/3 of The Dark Knight Rises was filmed in the true 15-perf 65mm IMAX film format. I wonder if 8K resolution scans and DI are being used in post production on the IMAX-originated footage.

The sadly ironic thing: lots of IMAX theaters operated by movie theater chains have been removing 15-perf 70mm film projection systems and installing "Lie-MAX" hardware (dual 2K resolution digital projectors). Quite a few Americans will have to drive some considerable distance to see The Dark Knight Rises in true IMAX. The nearest IMAX theater to me that still shows Hollywood movies on 15-perf 70mm prints is in Austin, TX.