• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plotter Confusion - Summa or Graphtec

SteveHem

I cant put off the need for a dedicated plotter anymore. Ive been printing and cutting stickers on my VS540 for almost 2 years now and have definitely got the most out of the machine. Its the only machine ive ever had but have been very happy with it especially for the £2500 i paid. The print is still great and other than the occasional powerful clean its holding its own and therefore staying put.

The cutter on my VS540 is ok if you have the time but as demand is going up i really need to be printing and cutting at the same time. I cut standard 80-100mic and laminated vinyl perfcut stickers. Nothing to intricate really. The machine often screws up when cutting big squares over 20cm etc.

I started looking at the Graphtec FC8600 and then realized the FC9000 is far superior as is always the way with these things. I then watched some YT vids where people were saying the Summa D Series would be the best choice and now ive seen the S Class machines!

I have a limited budget anyway so i guess the S Class and FC9000 is out of the question anyway.

So my question is FC8600 or D140?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Steve,

The Summa cutter will definitely offer better cutting accuracy, so if contour cutting is the primary use for the dedicated cutter, the Summa is the much better option. The Graphtec FC machines do have more cutting force than the drag knife Summa models(600 grams on the FC8600 & 400 grams on the S2 D Series), but they only offer accurate contour cuts up to 80" so for contour cutting applications they aren't nearly as good.

If your budget only allows for a used machine, the Summa is also a much better built machine that usually lasts longer, so you could probably get more usage out of a used Summa versus the used Graphtec(depending on the age & how much each cutter has been used, of course).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the differences between the two machines and I would be happy to help.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

MrDav3C

Can't say much about Summa plotters having only used Graphtec plotters for the past 25+ years. 3 different plotters, 2 of which are still are still in operation - I think this says a lot!

I think either machine would serve your needs well, I'd recommend speaking to Edward Mathias for your plotter blades as they have developed some fantastic smart knives that out perform the OEM blades, especially if you are plotting laminated prints, just be prepared to have no ears left after a lengthy phonecall with Harry!

SteveHem

Hi Steve,

The Summa cutter will definitely offer better cutting accuracy, so if contour cutting is the primary use for the dedicated cutter, the Summa is the much better option. The Graphtec FC machines do have more cutting force than the drag knife Summa models(600 grams on the FC8600 & 400 grams on the S2 D Series), but they only offer accurate contour cuts up to 80" so for contour cutting applications they aren't nearly as good.

If your budget only allows for a used machine, the Summa is also a much better built machine that usually lasts longer, so you could probably get more usage out of a used Summa versus the used Graphtec(depending on the age & how much each cutter has been used, of course).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the differences between the two machines and I would be happy to help.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com
Thanks Phil thats some great advice. Steve

SteveHem

Can't say much about Summa plotters having only used Graphtec plotters for the past 25+ years. 3 different plotters, 2 of which are still are still in operation - I think this says a lot!

I think either machine would serve your needs well, I'd recommend speaking to Edward Mathias for your plotter blades as they have developed some fantastic smart knives that out perform the OEM blades, especially if you are plotting laminated prints, just be prepared to have no ears left after a lengthy phonecall with Harry!
Great, thanks. Ill take a look at Harrys blades. Steve

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
In your shoes, id look at a FC9000.
the FC8600 is the previous model.

Having the cutting strip and cutting channel on the graphtec is better for die cut stickers.
The summa can do this, but it does it on the cutting strip, means more wear and usually slower.

SteveHem

In your shoes, id look at a FC9000.
the FC8600 is the previous model.

Having the cutting strip and cutting channel on the graphtec is better for die cut stickers.
The summa can do this, but it does it on the cutting strip, means more wear and usually slower.
Do both have a cutting strip and channel? I end up changing the cutting strip on my VS twice a year, bit of a pain

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Do both have a cutting strip and channel? I end up changing the cutting strip on my VS twice a year, bit of a pain
They both have the strip but only the graphtec has the channel.

Note that using the channel, you need to change the blade position.

SteveHem

They both have the strip but only the graphtec has the channel.

Note that using the channel, you need to change the blade position.
Oh i see, so the channel is just that, so if the blade was to proud it would just go through the material and sit in the channel, makes sense. The FC9000 is a little over my budget but im sure i can just wait a little longer and raise the extra funds.

Ive read the FC9000 is alot more user friendly than the previous FC8600.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Oh i see, so the channel is just that, so if the blade was to proud it would just go through the material and sit in the channel, makes sense. The FC9000 is a little over my budget but im sure i can just wait a little longer and raise the extra funds.

Ive read the FC9000 is alot more user friendly than the previous FC8600.
They're similar, with more features.
Barcode server
faster reading the scan marks
more knife pressure

Goatshaver

Shaving goats and eating bushes
I do a lot of die cut stickers and I started on a Summa D140 and it was great for doing kiss cuts, die cuts were a bit more work to setup though because you have to be careful of the cut strip.
I got a FC9000 a couple years ago and I love it. The cut channel makes doing anything with cutting completely through the media a breeze to setup. They both a very good machines but if you're doing a lot of die cut stickers, I'd lean towards the Graphtec simply for the cut channel.

Also not sure what media you print on but I have yet to have any issue with the Graphtec reading the marks on any metallic I've tried.

d fleming

The channel over cutting strip is a big reason why I love my graphtec. It is a tank. I think if I asked it real nice it might cut a 2x4:roflmao:

SteveHem

Thanks everyone, gotta be a FC9000 then, no more cutting strip wear would be amazing.

I often swap between 30" and 54" material so the first half of my cutting strip gets more wear. Then when going back to 54" the cuts are different from one half of the machine to the other, drives me mad.

Pearlljelly

Pearlljelly
I cant put off the need for a dedicated plotter anymore. Ive been printing and cutting stickers on my VS540 for almost 2 years now and have definitely got the most out of the machine. Its the only machine ive ever had but have been very happy with it especially for the £2500 i paid. The print is still great and other than the occasional powerful clean its holding its own and therefore staying put.

The cutter on my VS540 is ok if you have the time but as demand is going up i really need to be printing and cutting at the same time. I cut standard 80-100mic and laminated vinyl perfcut stickers. Nothing to intricate really. The machine often screws up when cutting big squares over 20cm etc.

I started looking at the Graphtec FC8600 and then realized the FC9000 is far superior as is always the way with these things. I then watched some YT vids where people were saying the Summa D Series would be the best choice and now ive seen the S Class machines!

I have a limited budget anyway so i guess the S Class and FC9000 is out of the question anyway.

So my question is FC8600 or D140?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Our shop just got rid of our piece of crap Graphtec FC9000 and replaced it with a S3 TC160 Summa since the techs had no clue how to fix the error message we had and it had been happing since march on and off until it eventually died at 1 year old. The tech that came to set up our Summa had said he replaces Graphtec plotters with Summa all the time. I love the new cutter, the workflow is amazing, the speed is leagues ahead of the Graphtec (It was actually unbelievable, before I'd have pile ups on my cutter and now I'm waiting on the Epson to finish prints), the accuracy and flex cut is outstanding. I cannot speak highly enough on my Summa, the best decision we could have made. We also have a Summa flatbed so we had previous experience with the brand and it supports twin workflow so they work together! Go with the OPOS cam option if you do reflective material or fine detailed cuts. I have also heard good things about the D140!

Pearlljelly

Pearlljelly
Thanks everyone, gotta be a FC9000 then, no more cutting strip wear would be amazing.

I often swap between 30" and 54" material so the first half of my cutting strip gets more wear. Then when going back to 54" the cuts are different from one half of the machine to the other, drives me mad.
Reading this reply after, I had to change the Graphtec cutting strips, they were terrible, I found they got beat up and would make my cuts off too frequently. I also cut between 30-54 inch probably close to 30 sheets a day and the strip still looks great, hardly any wear and no more on one side than the other, that is with flex (perf) cutting every page.

SteveHem

Our shop just got rid of our piece of crap Graphtec FC9000 and replaced it with a S3 TC160 Summa since the techs had no clue how to fix the error message we had and it had been happing since march on and off until it eventually died at 1 year old. The tech that came to set up our Summa had said he replaces Graphtec plotters with Summa all the time. I love the new cutter, the workflow is amazing, the speed is leagues ahead of the Graphtec (It was actually unbelievable, before I'd have pile ups on my cutter and now I'm waiting on the Epson to finish prints), the accuracy and flex cut is outstanding. I cannot speak highly enough on my Summa, the best decision we could have made. We also have a Summa flatbed so we had previous experience with the brand and it supports twin workflow so they work together! Go with the OPOS cam option if you do reflective material or fine detailed cuts. I have also heard good things about the D140!
Oh blimey, im going between both brands like a yoyo. Just read up about you S3 TC160, sounds amazing! Very high price though, one day though for sure. The S Class D140 is abit more affordable with recon models asking £3500-£4000. Food for thought, thanks for your input
Reading this reply after, I had to change the Graphtec cutting strips, they were terrible, I found they got beat up and would make my cuts off too frequently. I also cut between 30-54 inch probably close to 30 sheets a day and the strip still looks great, hardly any wear and no more on one side than the other, that is with flex (perf) cutting every page.
I thought the FC9000 didn't have a cutting strip, just a channel for flex cuts?

Saturn

Aging Member
I'm guessing you'll be well satisfied with either brand choice, but I'm another vote for Summa. I have two of the S2T's and wouldn't give them up for anything else. I do exclusively die-cut stickers, and they perform great.

Changing my cut strip is a 2-3 minute ordeal and doesn't take any other calibrations. Maybe back off the pressure a bit on a new one.

signheremd

Oh blimey, im going between both brands like a yoyo. Just read up about you S3 TC160, sounds amazing! Very high price though, one day though for sure. The S Class D140 is abit more affordable with recon models asking £3500-£4000. Food for thought, thanks for your input

I thought the FC9000 didn't have a cutting strip, just a channel for flex cuts?
The FC9000 has a channel and a cutting strip - you manually change the blade to the one you are using.

signheremd

We get over 50 54x50yd rolls of vinyl between cutting strips on our FC9000. Maybe your guys were not using the channel to cut all the way through? We considered a Summa, but have a twenty something year old Graphtec that is incredibly durable - and the price was lower of course.