• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Poked in the eye again by Gerber

signguytom

No real big suprise that if you lose a dongle that they will make you pay for a new one. It's how they protect their software, it's a known part of their software when purchased. If a dongle gets lost for real or if some one just wants to run two version without buying the rights to that is something that you can't expect them to sort out.

I agree with this for a lost dongle. By all means, charge for it. If I update my computer to Vista, or want the new features in a newer version, fine, I'll pay for the upgrade. But if I am happy with the software version I have purchased and the dongle simply stops working, I should be able to return it and have it replaced for free (or a VERY minimal fee). It is a security feature, not part of the program. If I spend a couple grand for software, I feel that Gerber (or any other company) should be compelled to make sure that their security dongle works for me as long as I am running the software on an OS version that was supported when it came out. If the key stops working, forcing a big $$$ upgrade to replace it is BS. Period. Should be criminal.

Drip Dry

I agree with this for a lost dongle. By all means, charge for it. If I update my computer to Vista, or want the new features in a newer version, fine, I'll pay for the upgrade. But if I am happy with the software version I have purchased and the dongle simply stops working, I should be able to return it and have it replaced for free (or a VERY minimal fee). It is a security feature, not part of the program. If I spend a couple grand for software, I feel that Gerber (or any other company) should be compelled to make sure that their security dongle works for me as long as I am running the software on an OS version that was supported when it came out. If the key stops working, forcing a big $$$ upgrade to replace it is BS. Period. Should be criminal.

SIGNGUYTOM

You get my point exactly. I just want to repost your message and sign my name to it..

I have the paperwork that came with the 1.52 and it clearly states that it works on windows 95 & 98 as well as windows NT no where does it state that it will work on XP, at least on what I'm reading. I know that when I wanted to upgrade from 1.5 to 2.5, I needed to upgrade my computer as it was running windows 98.

MARLENE

It seems to me that if they print the operating systems supported on the install disk, then I think it should be supported.( see my attached picture) I don't need any new features... I don't care if they fixed a bug... I just want the the software to run the way it ran for the last 5 years without crapping out because their security dongle is failing.
I really don't mind upgrading, I just don't want to be forced too.

JT

Attachments

• disk.jpg
    disk.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 102

KR3signguy

-My Gerber has been running great for years. The software upgrades have been a small percentage, of a percent, of what I've made using them. I wish others had the same experience. Hey Signguy, what's with the same "Gerber is a PITA!" reply every time? Do you hate all those Gerbers in your shop?

It's just a bittersweet necessity.
I've still got a pixil out on my edge.
It seems like every year,
just a month past the warranty.

chopper

I just checked my sign lab and it supports the gerber edge
maybe you need to try a different software package to get the job done,
but I think it will cost you more to change than upgrade...//chopper

iSign

-My Gerber has been running great for years. The software upgrades have been a small percentage, of a percent, of what I've made using them. I wish others had the same experience.

My sentiments exactly!
I also agree with Marlene...

...but I see jtrube's point too. I don't think they are obligated to dole out free dongles, but I think they should offer a reasonably priced swap for your old one, without trying to force an upgrade. (although it really is worth the money if you use the software a lot & you value your time)

Regarding a vendor or reseller to buy from, try Advantage Sign Supply.
They are a great supplier & they have a great technical support department that helps me with gerber software issues.

Drip Dry

My sentiments exactly!
I also agree with Marlene...

Regarding a vendor or reseller to buy from, try Advantage Sign Supply.
They are a great supplier & they have a great technical support department that helps me with gerber software issues.

Yes, I made the phone call on friday to Advantage. I expect they will call me back on Monday.

JT

schmitty

Run from Gerber!!!

A little background... we USED to drink the Gerber kool-aid. Pretty much all our devices are gerber, from CNC, to wide format, multiple plotters, edge fx and never again will I go with or recommend ANYTHING from gerber.

We bought the Gerber Jetster (Mutoh rockhopper) and Gerber would only support printing through Omega... read, provide profiles with the coated media they sell. That kinda sucked because we really wanted to use onyx, but Gerber wouldnt be able to provide the profiles, so, Ok... Gerber Image RIP it is. Then about 3.5 years after we purchased the printer Gerber decides they will no longer support the Jetster and is referring us to Mutoh for issues... what a joke. On top of that, the only coated media that prints well, Gerber stopped selling. So, we now have a 60" paper weight that only prints O.K. on only handful of media. Forget any type of P.O.P. applications, for any prints
to be viewed up close its horrible. Our clients come to us to provide the same quality prints we offered in the past, but we have to tell them to go elsewhere, we cant print the way we did when we bought the machine.

SCREW GERBER and come pick this POS.