• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

robosigns

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has experience mounting Pole Banners to square poles. I have only dealt with round pole installations before... I just don't see how the usual steel straps would get as tight a fit around corners. I was thinking of using the Wall-Mount plate style hardware with self-drilling screws? Any recommendations would be appreciated, especially from Canadian vendors eh!

DL Signs

Never go against the family
The straps work, the bigger the pole the better they do with square ones. Never really had any issues, although if you don't like the fit, or do have issues, you can always re-torque them in a week or so, just to get the corners to form good so they don't slide.

If you can bolt directly, it makes life easy, but since poles usually have wires running through them it can cause issues, or let water in, so they won't always allow it. If they will allow, keep in mind that they sway and vibrate, wires are pretty robust, but if they're in contact with something like a sharp self tap tip, over time it can cause shorts, an electrocution hazard, and re-wiring a light pole ain't cheap. Keep that in mind, and seal around bolts to keep water out. (yup, I'm one of those "always thinking about liability" guys)

Don't know if you can find a vendor in Canada, or get from here, but there's a company in Illinois called Banner Man that sells square mounts for 4, 5, and 6 inch poles like this.

square mount.jpg

robosigns

The straps work, the bigger the pole the better they do with square ones. Never really had any issues, although if you don't like the fit, or do have issues, you can always re-torque them in a week or so, just to get the corners to form good so they don't slide.

If you can bolt directly, it makes life easy, but since poles usually have wires running through them it can cause issues, or let water in, so they won't always allow it. If they will allow, keep in mind that they sway and vibrate, wires are pretty robust, but if they're in contact with something like a sharp self tap tip, over time it can cause shorts, an electrocution hazard, and re-wiring a light pole ain't cheap. Keep that in mind, and seal around bolts to keep water out. (yup, I'm one of those "always thinking about liability" guys)

Don't know if you can find a vendor in Canada, or get from here, but there's a company in Illinois called Banner Man that sells square mounts for 4, 5, and 6 inch poles like this.

View attachment 172305
DL Signs - thanks I appreciate that! Just to be sure we're on the same page - I'm used to using the hardware in the image attached below. Do you use similar hardware and do you have a different method or approach when you're dealing with Square vs Round poles or just really make sure they're well tightened?

hardware.jpg

DL Signs

Never go against the family
just really make sure they're well tightened
This. And yup, those work on square poles too. Just make sure the top and bottom ones are level with each other.

I've used them on square, round, decorative, and octagon poles. They just have to hold well enough to not slide, just like a round pole. It's not like you're hanging a car off it (or are you?:oops:).

If they don't snug around the corners when you install, go back in a week and re-tighten em' again. Only had to do that once, customer provided ones, the straps were really thick, and didn't want to make sharp corners. Rather than over tighten and risk snapping them, I just went back and snugged them again. They change banners regularly for events, but they've been on the poles at least 5-6 years, still holding strong. Just figured I'd throw that out, just in case you end up with some oddball like I did. They're out there...

robosigns

This. And yup, those work on square poles too. Just make sure the top and bottom ones are level with each other.

I've used them on square, round, decorative, and octagon poles. They just have to hold well enough to not slide, just like a round pole. It's not like you're hanging a car off it (or are you?:oops:).

If they don't snug around the corners when you install, go back in a week and re-tighten em' again. Only had to do that once, customer provided ones, the straps were really thick, and didn't want to make sharp corners. Rather than over tighten and risk snapping them, I just went back and snugged them again. They change banners regularly for events, but they've been on the poles at least 5-6 years, still holding strong. Just figured I'd throw that out, just in case you end up with some oddball like I did. They're out there...
Thanks again DL Signs for the tips! That's a relief knowing the hardware is universal, just wanted to be sure. Lol I don't think I'll be needing to hang a car this time around.... just some good 'ol 18oz!

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Hi,

How many do you need? I buy mine direct from an overseas manufacturer but I think the min is 6 or 12 sets and they often require us to buy in multiples of a full case which is usually 6 sets. For instance we just bought 72 sets for a school. When it’s a small qty we usually buy domestic from Grimco (not sure if they sell the square ones)

They sell a bunch of versions for square poles, other shapes and all the round pole variations too.

They are made to order so it’s usually 10-15 days plus shipping.

And if course shipping is crazy but it’s still a good deal and the quality is great.

Email me and I can send you the contact
Hybriddesignhi@gmail.com

signbrad

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has experience mounting Pole Banners to square poles. I have only dealt with round pole installations before... I just don't see how the usual steel straps would get as tight a fit around corners. I was thinking of using the Wall-Mount plate style hardware with self-drilling screws? Any recommendations would be appreciated, especially from Canadian vendors eh!
What do you mean by “usual steel straps?”

I see a lot of people using those radiator hose-style clamps. They are a lightweight clamp, tightened with a screwdriver, that often works, but they don’t have near the strength or permanence of a standard pole strap clamp, which requires a tightening tool for installation.
The standard pole strap uses a solid strap (no perforations) and clips for clinching the straps after they are tensioned. These straps have incredible strength, they are available in different strap widths, they can’t strip out like a hose clamp can, and they can completely and tightly conform to any shape or size pole—and I’ve never seen one loosen. The strapping comes in, I believe, 150-foot coils and the clips are in packages of one hundred.

The tightening tool is pricey ($150-200), but you only buy the tool once. You can mount not only banner brackets, but brackets for light fixtures and other things that are not always lightweight.
Once you get the hang of using the tensioning tool, straps and brackets can be installed quickly and permanently by one person (though a helper greatly speeds up the process).
There are also online instructional videos at manufacturers’ websites.

This image is the tool I have. There are other manufacturers.

Tensioning tool

Last edited:

robosigns

Hi,

How many do you need? I buy mine direct from an overseas manufacturer but I think the min is 6 or 12 sets and they often require us to buy in multiples of a full case which is usually 6 sets. For instance we just bought 72 sets for a school. When it’s a small qty we usually buy domestic from Grimco (not sure if they sell the square ones)

They sell a bunch of versions for square poles, other shapes and all the round pole variations too.

They are made to order so it’s usually 10-15 days plus shipping.

And if course shipping is crazy but it’s still a good deal and the quality is great.

Email me and I can send you the contact
Hybriddesignhi@gmail.com
hybriddesign - very interesting. I do these semi-regularly so I would be interested. I will email you! Thanks for the tip.

robosigns

What do you mean by “usual steel straps?”

I see a lot of people using those radiator hose-style clamps. They are a lightweight clamp, tightened with a screwdriver, that often works, but they don’t have near the strength or permanence of a standard pole strap clamp, which requires a tightening tool for installation.
The standard pole strap uses a solid strap (no perforations) and clips for clinching the straps after they are tensioned. These straps have incredible strength, they are available in different strap widths, they can’t strip out like a hose clamp can, and they can completely and tightly conform to any shape or size pole—and I’ve never seen one loosen. The strapping comes in, I believe, 150-foot coils and the clips are in packages of one hundred.

The tightening tool is pricey ($150-200), but you only buy the tool once. You can mount not only banner brackets, but brackets for light fixtures and other things that are not always lightweight.
Once you get the hang of using the tensioning tool, straps and brackets can be installed quickly and permanently by one person (though a helper greatly speeds up the process).
There are also online instructional videos at manufacturers’ websites.

This image is the tool I have. There are other manufacturers.

Tensioning tool
Hey signbrad ! Thanks for the detailed response. I always enjoy reading your responses to other threads as you do always go the extra mile to help!:toasting:

By "usual steel straps" - I do mean the ones traditionally included with the hardware - so yes the screwdriver-tightened style clamps. That is very good to know about the real pole-straps and tightening tool. Looks solid. I will keep that in mind moving forward as if I do enough of these it would be worth the upfront. I like that you just buy a coil of the strapping so you don't have to worry about sourcing different strap lengths for each job you do as well!