• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help "position invalid, out of range" error - any solutions?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I have a customer with an RS-640 getting the position invalid, out of range error when doing the limit initialization. The problem started with the 0080 scan motor error. Now, when running the Initialize the Limit, the head comes out about an inch when running the "setting up the limit" step and stops, giving the error. I have had him do the following at various stages of troubleshooting, not necessarily in this order: Cleaned the encoder strip, cleaned the encoder sensor, cleaned and lightly lubricated the head carriage rail, replaced the encoder sensor (used), replaced the encoder strip, cleaned the sections on the head carriage and capping station that contact during head parking, checked the head lock sensor is functioning through the service menu, tried the linear encoder setup, which won't work until the limit initialization is completed, replaced the scan motor (used), and verified it is reading the scan motor encoder by running the servo lock step in service mode, changed system switch Pg16, bit 5 from 0 to 1. Nothing has worked. Any ideas would be appreciated...

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Does that model use a cable, or belt? Been a minute since I did anything Roland.
On an SC unit I had years ago, I chased my tail for a while on an issue similar to that, started with the same scan motor code, went down the same rabbit hole. Was ready to toss it out in the parking lot & use it for target practice, then by sheer luck I found what was causing it. Turned out to be loose screws on the clamp that attaches the carriage to the cable, allowed it to slip ever so slightly when it moved, just enough where it couldn't determine it's position. Craziest thing...

SE SignSupply

I have a customer with an RS-640 getting the position invalid, out of range error when doing the limit initialization. The problem started with the 0080 scan motor error. Now, when running the Initialize the Limit, the head comes out about an inch when running the "setting up the limit" step and stops, giving the error. I have had him do the following at various stages of troubleshooting, not necessarily in this order: Cleaned the encoder strip, cleaned the encoder sensor, cleaned and lightly lubricated the head carriage rail, replaced the encoder sensor (used), replaced the encoder strip, cleaned the sections on the head carriage and capping station that contact during head parking, checked the head lock sensor is functioning through the service menu, tried the linear encoder setup, which won't work until the limit initialization is completed, replaced the scan motor (used), and verified it is reading the scan motor encoder by running the servo lock step in service mode, changed system switch Pg16, bit 5 from 0 to 1. Nothing has worked. Any ideas would be appreciated...
Does the new (used) scan motor and the original scan motor have the same size gear? If so, you dont need to change anything in the system switches. If they are different sizes, "Enter the service mode and change the system switch on page 16 from 00000000 to 00010000"

If the scan motor is not the issue, I would make sure the home position sensor is working in the sensor check menu.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I would guess the pinch sensor as well. That would be the first thing I would check
This is a VersaArt printer that prints only. I would assume the sensor you mean would be the Sheet Load Sensor in this case? I'll check. Customer has ordered a NEW encoder sensor, hopefully that's it...

damonCA21

I'm not very familiar with those. I think it should still have pinch sensors at each end of the head travel though to let the printer know it has reached the end?

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
It sounds like the carriage home sensor is dirty or defective. Finding the limit is identifying where the flag leaves the sensor and where that is in relationship to the capping position. If it moves farther than expected (or more accurately if the printer thinks the motor has turned more than expected) this error pops up.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Thanks Joe! I've had the sensor checked in service mode, but I think I'll see if there is another sensor of the same type in the machine and swap them to see what happens.