• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print and Mount Foamboard - Super77??

splizaat

Hey guys!
Lately we have been doing a ton of Print/Mount foam board prints for our customers, and up until this point we typically print matte finish vinyl, and stick it straight to a sheet of foam board, then cut it out after mounting, but without laminating the print we have to wait a day or so for the solvent ink to cure so it's a little more rigid otherwise we have all kinds of issues with the prints stretching and eventually wrinkling through the laminator during mounting.

We started printing Magic Paper stock, and 200GSM Roland SGP3 paper stocks instead and want to start printing to poster stock then mounting the paper to the foam board in order to almost immediately be able to mount them to the foam board.

What is everyone using for adhesive? 3M Super 77 spray? Anything else out there I should be looking at?

Thanks!

dypinc

If your not printing PSA then apply mounting adhesive like General Formulations 107 to the foam board. Alternately you could roll to roll laminate the mounting adhesive to the poster stock.

splizaat

I was really hoping to eliminate the need to use our laminator...spraying some sort of glue on, wipe the print on with our hand - MAYBE possible roll it through the laminator just to make sure no bubbles, then out to customer. Having to apply double sided adhesive, then apply it to the board seems to defeat the purpose for me...in that case I'd sick to printing our PSV

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Spray adhesive has been hit or miss for us on foam board.
Looks good but after a while starts to lift and tunnel. Could be our high humidity here.
We get better results using foam board with an adhesive side and our hand cranked laminator.
Pretty much fool proof.

wayne k
guam usa

pjfmeister

Spray adhesives have there own issues. The overspray is a constant issue. Gets on your prints, equipment, skin etc. and causes problems....We mount some prints this way for a local "art" shop that prints their own posters.... It is a serious pain if you are doing any qty at all. I would much rather wait on traditional print n stick vinyl to dry/cure....Use a couple milk crates and a fan to create a drying rack to dry your prints quicker then a big squeegee to mount. We have 50 - 24"x36" foamcores we are processing this way today and it is very quick.
If we used 3m77 on all of these it would be a nightmare.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We apply a roll laminate to the foamcore unless it already has it. Print to paper with matte lam then use the laminator to cold press the paper to the foamcore. In a pinch on 1 or 2 I'll hand squeegee smaller posters to save time. Got away from printing to decal for the same reasons. The decal material would shrink and start coming off the edges even after waiting a couple of days.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i really hate spray adhesives. but they do have their place.
now there is a foam board that comes with adhesive on it already, i have used it to mount prints to and it works really well.