• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print cut laminate sequence

minutomedia

Newbie here looking into getting in the small vehicle wrapping business (atv, snowmobiles...) and was wondering about the following questions :

In a scenario where i would be using a Roland printer cutter, what would be the sequence of operation? Would it be print and cut all the pieces, then laminate them and then cut the laminate excess manually
Or
Print the pieces, laminate the whole sheet, put the sheet back in the Roland and then have it cut the pieces (laminated)? (my concern being the vinyl plus the laminating will be about 18 MIL and I don't know if the Roland has limitation on the thickness it can cut)

Last edited:

grafixemporium

C) go to a qualified print shop and get the job done right.

D) Welcome to S101!

There. I saved everyone the trouble of posting. Those are going to be the 2 most common answers to your question.

minutomedia

"Newbie Forum New to the business or thinking about jumping in? Got some basic questions? Ask them here."

Please if you don't want to share information or help, don't bother answering this thread.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Newbie here looking into getting in the small vehicle wrapping business (atv, snowmobiles...) and was wondering about the following questions :

In a scenario where i would be using a Roland printer cutter, what would be the sequence of operation? Would it be print and cut all the pieces, then laminate them and then cut the laminate excess manually
Or
Print the pieces, laminate the whole sheet, put the sheet back in the Roland and then have it cut the pieces (laminated)? (my concern being the vinyl plus the laminating will be about 18 MIL and I don't know if the Roland has limitation on the thickness it can cut)

Print, laminate, cut. End of discussion.

"Newbie Forum New to the business or thinking about jumping in? Got some basic questions? Ask them here."

Please if you don't want to share information or help, don't bother answering this thread.

If you want to swim in these waters you might want to grow a thicker skin and develop a sense of humor.

Regardless of how any particular forum in this sandbox might be described, people post whatever it pleases them to post whenever it pleases them to do so. You hang your query about laminating out on the line and people get to respond most anyway they see fit. One thing you do not do is attempt to chastise someone for not responding in what you feel is not a proper manner or in keeping with some abstract description.

minutomedia

Print, laminate, cut. End of discussion.
Thank you.

If you want to swim in these waters you might want to grow a thicker skin and develop a sense of humor...
I know... it's just that it always baffles me how every time someone posts in a NEWBIE section on most forums, there is always someone to post some useless answer, trying to ridiculize the poster... it's kind of getting old. In my mind forums are made to exchange informations and opinions in a constructive manner. But you are right, people can post whatever it pleases them to post... Just remember, everyone was a newbie once

Last edited:

MikePro

Welcome from Wisconsin, USA!
p.s. print, laminate, and then cut... OR print, cut, liquid laminate, and weed before it completely dries!

... it's just that it always baffles me how every time someone posts in a NEWBIE section on most forums, there is always someone to post some useless answer, trying to ridiculize the poster... it's kind of getting old. In my mind forums are made to exchange informations and opinions in a constructive manner. But you are right, people can post whatever it pleases them to post... Just remember, everyone was a newbie once
aye, but it also gets exhausting how people will register to ask a question and never return to contribute... or better yet, to ask a question that's been duplicated on numerous existing threads that can easily be found via search option.
then again, sometimes its just fun to pick on people when you're havin' a crummy day :smile:

minutomedia

Welcome from Winnipeg!

Print, laminate, then cut. I'm not sure if Roland print/cut equipment can handle that thickness (Convex....I'm assuming?) but it's worth a shot. I've cut a 14 mil lexan/vinyl combination before on mine...so I would think 18mil would be do-able. Just use a 45 blade and set it to cut 2-3 times. Do some tests and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Good luck!

Thank you very much.

Flame

Print, laminate, cut. And no, your machine is not going to like that material. Possible? I've seen it done. But it's going to be the 7th level of hell for that poor printer lol.

grafixemporium

... it's just that it always baffles me how every time someone posts in a NEWBIE section on most forums, there is always someone to post some useless answer, trying to ridiculize the poster... it's kind of getting old. In my mind forums are made to exchange informations and opinions in a constructive manner. But you are right, people can post whatever it pleases them to post...

Minutemedia... your post count is 4 and they are all in this thread. If you are already tired of getting "ridiculized" I fear you will not last long in the S101 realm. There is a lot of ridiculizing going on 'round here.

In all fairness, I often do my part on here to share information and help others. I know they say there's no such thing as a dumb questions, but really... well. I digress.

Good luck!

Andrew

fryblade

Dont know if you have figured this out or not yet but I ran into this same issue today with the roland sp 540v. you print, laminate & then cut. I set the grams to about 260 & cut twice. That was with a 60deg blade, need to back it down to a new 45 deg blade & keep the pressure the same & it should work. Have you gained any more knowledge on this since its been posted well over a year ago?

Malkin

Realized this thread was dragged back up, but here you go anyways.....

Yes, it is possible. I have done it with out VP-540.

First you will need several brand new blades, I recommend the ones from Clean Cut. They are affordable and work very well. You'll need to change out blades fairly frequently.

I have done up to 18mils total thickness (convex brand and comparable) with the 60° blade, make sure to extend it out enough to cut all the way though. The weight will need to be in the 260-300 range, and you may as well turn off the heat as well.
Give yourself plenty of color bleed, and limit the overall size of the run. The larger the piece, the more likely the cuts will go off.

Best of luck to ya.