• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

print width

maynemag

I am about to embark on my first wrap. I have a Roland FJ-50 that has been converted but I was wondering how wide should I make my panels? I know it says 54" printer but I have heard it will only print as wide as 52". If I have 54" media then do I just use the extra 2" as my overlap. or should I just try and find some 48" media. If I use 48" should I print full bleed. Thanks in advance.

Letterbox Mike

You'll want to use 54" material, printing about 51-52" wide. The overlap in a wrap is not the white unprinted edges of the media. When you set up your tiles or panels in your RIP you will have to specify how much overlap you need between each panel. Everyone likes something different for overlaps, I prefer .25"-.5", some people like more. But you tell the RIP how much overlap, and when it divides the large file into the individual panels it will incorporate overlap in each panel. If you don't tell it you want overlap, the panels will butt together which will cause the wrap to fail as eventually they will pull apart.

maynemag

Thanks that is what i was thinking. So what method do you guys use to cut off that extra unprinted area? What could I use to keep it straight, I really would like to stay away from hand cutting that long, especially when I get things rolling and have to do a trailer or something that big. should I invest in a large plotter?