• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printable magnet on valuejet

Circleville Signs

If you do a search you will find some answers. Long story short, everything I have been told is not to try it with a Mutoh. EVERYTHING from the platen to the heater is metal in there. Magnets stick to metal. Leads to head strikes.

Now, I've never actually run any magnetic through mine (due to this advice), but if you are brave enough to try it, let us know how it goes. it would definitely save me a TON of time.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If you do a search you will find some answers. Long story short, everything I have been told is not to try it with a Mutoh. EVERYTHING from the platen to the heater is metal in there. Magnets stick to metal. Leads to head strikes...

Not quite...magnets are attracted to ferrous metal.

Like most of the other brands, Mutoh's construction in the area of interest is aluminum and stainless steel. Neither of which have any magnetic characteristics.

Even if the printer was constructed entirely of ferrous metal, the magnetic field of magnetic media is so weak that the printer's feed mechanism would overpower it. It's probably safe to say that the platen's vacuum is stronger than any magnetic attraction inherent in the media.

Likewise the anemic magnetic field of the media will not have have effect on any of the printer's electronics.

The real reason not to print directly onto magnetic media is that the stuff is inordinately heavy and thus hard to wrangle and difficult to feed. It's far easier to print on vinyl and then apply it to the magnetic media.

Circleville Signs

I can always count on Bob :)

Might have been just as easy to say "Sounds like you may have been misinformed. Here's the REAL reason not to use this stuff."

Of course, then you wouldn't be you -- and I like you...lol

signage

Not quite...magnets are attracted to ferrous metal.

Like most of the other brands, Mutoh's construction in the area of interest is aluminum and stainless steel. Neither of which have any magnetic characteristics.

Even if the printer was constructed entirely of ferrous metal, the magnetic field of magnetic media is so weak that the printer's feed mechanism would overpower it. It's probably safe to say that the platen's vacuum is stronger than any magnetic attraction inherent in the media.

Likewise the anemic magnetic field of the media will not have have effect on any of the printer's electronics.

The real reason not to print directly onto magnetic media is that the stuff is inordinately heavy and thus hard to wrangle and difficult to feed. It's far easier to print on vinyl and then apply it to the magnetic media.

Bob some of the lower grade SS do have magnetic characteristics!

HaroldDesign

I've read the problem is that the magnetic stock has an ill affect on the print head. I haven't even tried using the magnetic stock because it's so thin and weak. It's similar to the stuff you can run through your desktop printer. Barely supports it's own weight.

max

thanks a bunch for all your replies!!!! I think I will definitely not chance it.
Guess I'll just keep doin it the long way(print on vinyl then stick on magnet)
thanks again guys....

300mphGraphics

Long way, maybe. But for me, it is much easier to print on the material I have in the machine already and just mount it to the mag. I hate magnetics anyway and try and talk my customer out of them. Successful 90% of the time when I explain the same material goes on the mag, or right onto the vehicle without the expense of the mag and won't blow off or weld itself to vehicle.

BobCap

I guess I'll jump in here. I print on magnet material on a Mutoh Rockhopper 38. Magnum magnetics 12 mill and 30 mill. I have been doing this for several years with no problem.

We also contour cut the 12 mil on a Graphtec FC8000 with no problems.

Now I am planning on running the 12 mil paper based magnet through an Epson 7600. I might go to unmagnetized material and the magnetize after printing...not sure yet.

I have also printed on Orajet and applied it to the magnet material. Also not a problem. But there is the added cost and labor to that process.

FWIW

Bob Cap

dj_elite

I used to print magnets on my old Rockhopper 38". I used to put application tape and the front and rear of the platen so the magnetic bond wasnt as strong. I still occasionally got head strikes and stopped printing magnets for this reason. It wasnt worth the hassle for the amount of minimum profit I got.

BobCap - How do you cut the magnets? Every time I tried, the amount of material left towards the end of cutting would be so minimal it would throw everything out of wack and be disastrous!

splizaat

like everyone else said. We print to vinyl, apply to mag. Not only is the mag material heavy, but rarely will you find a magnet with a face stock that prints as well as actual vinyl.

boxerbay

we tried this on the Epson gs6000. we banner taped a piece of 3mm pvc to the rear platen to allow the mag material to slide. it worked but in the end we were not happy with the finished print. also you cannot print to the edge of a 24" roll. If you have a misprint the cost of waste is much higher also. We prefer to print on adhesive vinyl then mount it to the mag material.