• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printed reflective mounting problems

Shadowglen

OK so I printed some car-side parking signs for a new sports bar. I used FDC WHITE REFLECTIVE DIG/ENG 5.9ML vinyl I printed on it with my Roland SP540I and over laminated it with oracal 290. All of that went fine. And then I ruined my first one trying to apply it to an aluminum blank. the instantaneous tack and unforgivingness of reflective did me in. I was trying to get the top started and run it through the laminate rollers to apply it. This did not go so good. Is this a wet app only option? any tips or tricks? I would love to use my speed press but worry that it would still bubble and possibly pull off my laminate. I do have some rapid tac. any suggestions or past discussions I searched for similar topics and did not find any.

Thanks

Dave

Mainframe

Lay it on it's face, remove release liner, spray it with rapid tac, and lay the alum down on top, flip it back over and run out the bubbles-Done!

Next!

Kevin-shopVOX

The speed press would handle that with ease. I've never seen the speed press film remove the laminate from the film once applied to the substrate. If you roll the graphic down properly and not in every direction possible it should be bubble free.

HulkSmash

Lay it on it's face, remove release liner, spray it with rapid tac, and lay the alum down on top, flip it back over and run out the bubbles-Done!

Next!

Don't do this... Laying any type of reflective wet destroys the adhesive.

Next

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Okay well it does not really destroy the adhesive but reflective materials are made from aluminum. Have you ever seen blistered paint on an ambulance? Or corroded aluminum from long term contact with water. What can happen it the aluminum particals in the vinyl can oxidize from the trapped moisture causing failure of the adhesive, spearation of the vinyl layer, discoloration, etc. This is why pretty much every brand of reflective specifically states that you should not wet apply reflective.

That being said, we applying it can be easier for certain things like larger peices when you are not using one with an air release adhesive. Larger light colors where any sort of sharp handling during install can leave bruises, etc. I'm not going to say we have never wet applied reflective and never will but for the most part we do not.