• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printhead issue or other issue

Toks

PrintEasy
Hello everyone.

Wish someone could help me. I have a vs540 that suddenly stopped printing cyan. On removing the printhead, I discovered cyan ink had pooled in the damper area. Initially, I thought it had to do with the o-rings. But today I put back the printhead and did a test print. It immediately drained the whole of light cyan into the damper station, on the floor and unto the printhead boards. Does it mean something else is wrong with the printer cause I don't want to put a new print head in and this happens.

Regards
Mike.

damonCA21

If it has leaked onto the print head boards it may already have blown it. Clean everything off and let it fully dry, disconnect the cyan damper from the head and do a test print and see it everything prints ok apart from the cyan.
Also check the cyan head manifold carefully for any cracks as this could cause the pooling.
If the ink was pooled there it is obviously leaking from somewhere between the ink hose and the head manifold, so change the damper, o-rings, hose connection etc...

netsol

be VERY CAREFUL to remove all ink rom the spill
it should clean up with isopropyl,
remember the ink can dissolve the insulation on ribbon cables & it is electrically conductive
be very careful to clean the circuit boards and fully allow to dry (flush the sockets the ribbons plug into)
keep the machine unplugged probably for an entire day to be sure it has all dried out
remember the isopropyl is conductive as well

you obviously need to figure out why the whole cartridge drained out, as part of this
you will need to check all your fuses
be payient and take your time

keep the head parked in capping station & keep the felt WET
easiest thing might be to clip off the lines from captop to pump(s)

netsol

keepng the head WET is important to minimize additional damage
lets not ruin the head IF IT ISN'T BAD

Toks

PrintEasy
Thanks for all the info. I have installed a new printhead. First test print had cyan firing even though it was black ink because of the pooling in the captop. I have gone ahead to prime all colours but cyan will not fire anymore. All other colour are firing even the empty cartridges are firing. I checked the cyan damper and there was no ink so I primed it again. What worries me now is that the empty cartridges are firing some colour but the cyan channel isn't firing anything. Same thing happened to the last printhead.

damonCA21

OK it sounds like there may be a problem getting ink to the cyan head. Did you also change the damper when you changed the head? You should always do this anyway as ink can clog the damper. When you prime the damper that uses a lot more suction than the print head uses, so if it is partially clogged then it may prime ok, but when the print head needs ink it doesnt actually get enough.
If you have primed it then you need to check the ink hose is clear all the way back to the cart. This can also clog. Remove the damper and the hose from the cart dock and use a syringe to draw all the ink out of it. I flush them through with cleaning solution as well to make sure they are completely clear.
It could also be a bad ink cart and the ink isnt getting sucked out of it. Either put a brand new one in, or swap over one of the other colours you know is working and see if that fixes it

Toks

PrintEasy
Hello Damon. Thanks. Will put in a new cart to see if that solves it. If it doesn't, will have to drain the line. Currently there is only in just the upper part of the damper. It's not flowing to the lower part. Although ink stays in the line. I tried to use a syringe to pull ink from underneath the damper but it wouldn't fill. Don't think am doing that part correctly or if the syringe snugs tight under the damper. I have also done head adjustment to make sure the captop and head is properly aligned

damonCA21

Did you check for cracks in the manifold? This can cause problems particularly if they are small as they can suck air in and stop ink getting to the head, so even if ink is getting to the damper, then it may not be getting through to the head properly. Sometimes they are very hard to see and you may need to gently wiggle the manifold to see if it opens up anywhere.

netsol

crack in the manifold seems like a likely possibility.
this is not yhe end of the world.
i keep a spare manifold in my cabinet, because it can be easy to cravk the nipples
YOU CAN ALSO switch the manifold fromthe old head

question 1:idid you change danpers?
2: what happens is you shoot some ink CAREFULLY into the cyan damper?

i would pull the hose off the bottom of capping station & draw ink, either with a tapered syringe (solvent inkjet sell these, VERY USEFUL) or go to amazon and buy a handheld vacuum pump . pull some ink through (waste a little bit)

HAVE YOU BEEN KEEPING THE HEAD WET?

ARE WE SURE you haven't damaged a ribbon cable (ink on ribbon or exposed conductors from white insulation dissolving, OR a conductor bent over or broken where they plug in? )