• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Printing and Plotting on separate machines

Emus

Hi guys, my first post here and looking for help. Preferably in the form of video tuition if anyone has any links.

I'm fairly new to this game. After spending many years in a different industry, I needed a change so here I am.

I have a HP 360 Latex printer. I get some really good results but I want to be able to print images on the HP but then use a Jaguar V plotter (with GCC cutter) to 'cut out' on occasions and haven't got a clue where to start. Playing around, I have found out how to print registration marks but just don't know how I then get the plotter to recognise them.

A bit more info: We use....
- Onyx RIP with the HP
- EasySIGN plotter software
- We design in Adobe Illustrator

If anyone has any links to online tuition or of course just info and tips you can pass on, then I will be eternally grateful.

Thank you in anticipation.

signheremd

Set up your print file with any bleed in Flexi and setup a contour cut path, Select the whole thing and your Contour Cut Mark button should be activated - Choose "GCC 4 Point cut marks and click the green check mark. Send the file to print, then put it in your plotter, initialize, and then move the knife point to the center to the closest mark. From flexi, send your cut by choosing Cut Contour button (looks like a blade with a piece of red vinyl under it) and it should bring just the contour cuts over - send. You probably need Flexi 19 or higher.

bdw99

Check and see if your plotter has a plugin for onyx, then you can run registration marks through onyx and use the integrated cut server. Pretty seamless.
(edit) just checked and there is a plugin for onyx, open your your file with job editor in onyx and select your plotter. It'll generate registration for you. When you print it'll go in to cut server and you can cut from there.

myront

Dammit, make it faster!!
We do something similar. We have a dedicated pc & Print Tech for the RIP station. When we first started it didn't take long to see that that it was a pain to interrupt the Tech's mojo just to set up reg marks. Didn't take me long to figure out what parameters were needed for the cutting process so I just created a script that the designers could use from their own pc and not have to interrupt the Print Tech for use of the RIP. They set up the prints to include nesting then export to a hot folder for the Tech to sort thru and direct to the necessary printers.

bdw99

All above are great ideas but if you have onyx just use it's cut server for your print to cut jobs. Don't need to over complicate if you don't have to.