• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing from Ipad and Iphone

John L

I know there are a few Ipad/Iphone users here besides myself who may appreciate this.

After some disappointing performance from a few printing apps (Iphone apps only), I had been contemplating buying one of the Airprint printers just to have here and was hopeful to be able print off the occasional email or photo from the default "print" feature on my Ipad or Iphone when the need arises.

Well, I just came across this site... http://jaxov.com/2010/11/how-to-enable-airprint-service-on-windows/ ...followed the instructions and am pleased to say that you definitely do not need an Airprint printer to do it. Using this software I have been printing to all of my office printers with both Ipad and Iphone.

I was really confused as to why printing is an "afterthought" with these devices. I find this VERY handy and I havent been this excited to see a computer connect to a printer since my old 286 back in the day.

I will advise, if you do the same, please read the user comments posted below the article in regards to Firewall permission for Airprint, printer sharing, and windows user/password, etc.

Good Luck!

CES020

I don't think printing is an afterthought on the iphone. I don't know a lot about it, but I did see where the future of printing is driverless printing, a technology that's just coming out. So to develop the printing capacity for something that would be obsolete shortly probably didn't make much sense.

In the past you've always had to load a driver to use a printer. Now we're looking at that not being the case.

Of course I could have completely misunderstood what I read several months ago and be completely wrong :) It's happened before, will probably happen again :)

WildWestDesigns

In the past you've always had to load a driver to use a printer. Now we're looking at that not being the case.

I haven't looked into it yet, but I don't know if it's really at a point of driverless printers or that the respective OS software just has enough of a database of of printers that it automatically retrieves the one that you need right after you hooked it up that it seems like it's driverless. Or the drivers are already on the printer and upload to the computer after first hookup.

CES020

That was a quote from Jobs to a customer in an email. He said it was a driverless system if I recall correctly.

WildWestDesigns

That was a quote from Jobs to a customer in an email. He said it was a driverless system if I recall correctly.

Cool. I'll have to look into that. I wouldn't doubt that the technology would be available if it isn't already, but that will safe a lot of irritating hassle with having to deal with downloading(as most drivers that come with printers don't have the latest version, I know the Wacom driver(not a printer though) didn't have the latest driver on it) and installing the drivers.