• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Good Reds/other colors on HP 700W

bERT bRYAN

Good afternoon,

We recently purchased an HP 700W latex printer, and we are up to date on all of our Flexi subscriptions. We are having trouble printing a really good red, it is coming out muted, tomatoey, and our pantone colors we are printing are coming out with more pink. In our driver options, we have the red turned all the way up. We use Avery and 3M wrap material and Oracal, most of these substrate settings are on 8 pass.

Thanks in advance.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You are limiting your gamut by printing 8-pass.
Try 14-pass and high ink limit, say 170% for example.

Anyway if your color is not correct, make sure your printheads are performing as they should and that you have done colour calibration. Of course you should also have correct ICC.

BigNate

I highly recommend setting up your own profiles - you may already be doing this.... more passes absolutely makes for smoother gradients and better prints overall. Our 700W printing quality went up dramatically as soon as we started optimizing our own profiles... Use the scratch tests (I forget what HP calls them...) to make sure you can cure all the ink you are spraying.... and then check the swatches against a known swatch (you can skip this, but it is nice to know a Cyan print matches the Cyan swatch, etc....) then calibrate - verify by sending a few tricky color matches from the computer... then use the new profile... every time you load a new roll, calibrate (personally anytime the printer is idle for 12 or more hours I run a calibration before prints...)

bERT bRYAN

You are limiting your gamut by printing 8-pass.
Try 14-pass and high ink limit, say 170% for example.

Anyway if your color is not correct, make sure your printheads are performing as they should and that you have done colour calibration. Of course you should also have correct ICC.
I appreciate the info, we will try it out.

BigNate

Yes sir, we have. I appreciate the input and we will look at creating our own. Thank you

quick note for the other end of the quality spectrum - we have found the 700W to be pretty amazing at trying to compensate for plugged nozzles. Now, not things I would use for highest quality, but we print a whole lot of posters for classrooms. even with only about 50% of nozzles working, you can usually run calibration and get a decent poster - again, not a fine art photo, but absolutely "good enough" that most people would not even notice...

bERT bRYAN

quick note for the other end of the quality spectrum - we have found the 700W to be pretty amazing at trying to compensate for plugged nozzles. Now, not things I would use for highest quality, but we print a whole lot of posters for classrooms. even with only about 50% of nozzles working, you can usually run calibration and get a decent poster - again, not a fine art photo, but absolutely "good enough" that most people would not even notice...
We made our own profiles, and it made a huge difference

We made our own profiles, and it made a huge difference
Did you use the on-board spectrophotometer and ICC creation engine, or external (to the printer) measurement/ software? The 600/ 700/ 800 Series maximize the ink set's chromatic gamut at around 120-percent when printing to white self-adhesive films.