• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on fiberglass veil

96XP

As I mentioned this in another thread, thought to actually post a little more about it.

Originally, the client at the time asked for scenes to be airbrushed onto fiberglass play equipment (water park installation).
Though I figured that it would be a time saver and I could produce more details into the scenes if it could be printed. Then it would also be more durable once under the gel coat.
So here are a couple test samples from a few years back, and it was an easy setup.

The veil prints were left to dry before they were laid into the molds.
The one image of the print coming through the Roland was tiled with others.
Another shows samples of text and imaging.
And there is another sample (100_3516) showing water and the tip a kayak. This was actually a portion from a much larger scene, about 8 feet across. Details and colors are quite sharp and accurate as can be seen.

So if ever you have a client that wishes embedded permanent signage or designs into boats, etc., there is a way. :smile:

Attachments

• 100_3518.JPG
    100_3518.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 816
  • 100_3519.jpg
    100_3519.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 361
  • 100_3520.jpg
    100_3520.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 336
  • 100_3516.JPG
    100_3516.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 360

96XP

Very nice. Please give details. Could be used for race car parts.

The veil was cut to the size required for lining the molds.
Edges were masked down with painters tape onto regular media (just for the pinch rollers to move it through)
I setup a series of tables in the back of the printer, and the equivalent in the front so that everything would feed through flat.
Head height was switched up 1 position to allow just a bit more clearance so the odd fiber that stands out wouldn't accumulate on the carriage.
It was a very clean job, no mess, no strands anywhere.
Used a regular print profile as I just wanted to get the image saturated onto the veil.
I left all the prints out overnight to dry up so they could then be stacked and shipped to the glass shop the following day.
Clear gel coat was either sprayed or brushed/rolled smooth into the waxed mold then backed up with chopper. Not sure how thick he went in final production, but heavy enough that it had depth, was crystal clear and could be cut polished over time if the surface dulled.
Some of it was made very dark blue, but the rest was in lighter brighter colors for the details.
I was blown away myself when the first tests came back as the image was as perfect as one could expect. No distortion, no runs. And to note, the color popped even more after the process (as it doesn't look that strong on the veil in the images)

Accel

Where did you get this material?

I have a client asking if could print on this veils stuff also. Where did you find this material and do you think a mimaki jv33 could also print on it, I am running ss21 inks.
Thanks
johnny

As I mentioned this in another thread, thought to actually post a little more about it.

Originally, the client at the time asked for scenes to be airbrushed onto fiberglass play equipment (water park installation).
Though I figured that it would be a time saver and I could produce more details into the scenes if it could be printed. Then it would also be more durable once under the gel coat.
So here are a couple test samples from a few years back, and it was an easy setup.

The veil prints were left to dry before they were laid into the molds.
The one image of the print coming through the Roland was tiled with others.
Another shows samples of text and imaging.
And there is another sample (100_3516) showing water and the tip a kayak. This was actually a portion from a much larger scene, about 8 feet across. Details and colors are quite sharp and accurate as can be seen.

So if ever you have a client that wishes embedded permanent signage or designs into boats, etc., there is a way. :smile: