• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing on vinyl backing paper/liner

ericheartsu

Hi All! A couple of our clients have asked us to do this, and we've always said no. We'd love to explore the option of being able to print on the backing liner of our Vinyl. We did a test today, and the ink was not curing, just like we thought it would do.

Is there a specific way this is done? does a certain vinyl work better than others? Currently we are using General Formulations 203.

thanks!

ericheartsu

it's something a lot of our clients ask for, so just trying to do more research to see what the correct way to print them would be.

Billct2

Still don't get it...why would customers ask for such a thing? How could they even think it was a possibility?
If they want cheap material buy some paper or poly banner.

Christian @ 2CT Media

It sounds like your clients want you to label their products. Do you have a solvent or latex machine?

I have printed on the liner with a latex reasonably well.

CrAkD

id like to do this as well. good promotion for me. dunno why customers would want it. I don't think its possible with solvent tho.

rjssigns

I'd try it with an aqueous printer. Lots of cheap wide format HP stuff out there. Would need a take up reel though.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
I make goofy shooting target and such for fun. The profile needed is billboard on your banner setting. You want to lay down the least amount of ink as possible.

We even have issues with the solvent paper taking the solvent paper profile. So paper is all on billboard speed. I have a Roland vp540 or whatever this new model is called.

InstantOneMedia

For our Instant Granite products, we print a grid and logo on the backing paper of our Air Release Calendered vinyl ($130/roll) with no issues. We print the backing on a JV-3 & JV33, using both OEM & Triangle inks, with a generic profile. We keep the heat at the lowest setting and usually turn the heat off. Is there a coating on the backing paper?

For our Instant Granite products, we print a grid and logo on the backing paper of our Air Release Calendered vinyl ($130/roll) with no issues. We print the backing on a JV-3 & JV33, using both OEM & Triangle inks, with a generic profile. We keep the heat at the lowest setting and usually turn the heat off. Is there a coating on the backing paper?

Why? Does anyone flip the vinyl over and use the grid on the back. I got some samples of the lam and it has the grid also. Seems like a waste to me. Even cheaper vinyl or a grid on back.... I'll go cheaper. Also your backer is a lot more paperlike then say a 3M IJ35C which has a lot of poly in the backer it seems like.

InstantOneMedia

Why? Does anyone flip the vinyl over and use the grid on the back. I got some samples of the lam and it has the grid also. Seems like a waste to me. Even cheaper vinyl or a grid on back.... I'll go cheaper. Also your backer is a lot more paperlike then say a 3M IJ35C which has a lot of poly in the backer it seems like.[/QUOTE]

One of the products that we sell, Instant Granite, is a countertop film. So "Sally Homemaker" uses the grid to help them cut the film before they install onto their counters.