• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Small Text

PiizzLe

I have a Graphtec 5000-60 and looking to print small text design that can fit the side handles of Ray Ban shades. My problem is the cutter is messing up the text and the vinyl leaves its place.

Is there a combination on the plotter control where I can maybe slow down the cutter vs the depth or off contact?

Thanks guys.

kanini

That sounds too small to cut with any plotter. Maybe one with a tangential head but with a drag knife... don't even try...

PiizzLe

Thanks for the reply. Ive seen a few with really small prints like the one that we wanted to do. Like this for example. Sorry for sloppy crop.

Attachments

• hk shades.jpg
    hk shades.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 93

omgsideburns

You could cut text small enough to fit on the arms of wayfarers.

You need a sharp blade, a good cutting strip, decent vinyl, and the right settings.

Naskhan

I am guessing they printed that using a pad printing process or even a flatbed UV instead of cutting vinyl and sticking it on

PiizzLe

From what I noticed the text moves out of place because the movement of the blade is too fast. Do you guys think if I was to slow it down the text would stay in place?

C

ColoPrinthead

Slowing down the speed might help. Make it crawl.

Bill Modzel

Ditto on the pad print job but if you have to cut it. Gerber's 225 series with the plastic liner will will cut some pretty small stuff well. I'd start with a new blade too.

121a

I'm guessing all PiizzLe has access to is the plotter. We have that same plotter and anything under a 1/4" tall is tricky. Slow it down, adjust blade depth and pressure to bare minimums. New blade can help to.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
This is one of those things that merely because it might be possible to do is not sufficient reason to do it. Cut vinyl has to be the single most ridiculous solution.

PiizzLe

I made major changes to my settings controller and here are the results.

These are 1.443 inches wide and .327 inches tall.

Very happy with the outcome. Thank you guys for all the help.

Attachments

• Graphtec Controller Settings.jpg
    Graphtec Controller Settings.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 69202_4445557613305_561555364_n.jpg
    69202_4445557613305_561555364_n.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 162

Haakon

Cut these shapes/logos with my GX-24 on Oracal 751, so small that the vinyl actually look really thick in relation to the size of the logos. But you reach a limit on how small you can cut before it looks messy. The weeded out areas on the logo is about 1-2mm.

These were made as a trial for a repainted box for some audio equipment in the size that was on the box before repainting, but I would not stand for the quality and told the customer that he needed to look into silkscreening (which is the method used originally on car audio equipment like this). Guessing a uv flatbed could now print directly to the box/chassis.

Anyway, came out like this from the Roland:

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 162

S'N'S

Another thing you can do is cut a square around the text, mask before without weeding, stick the lettering on and then weed. Once they are stuck on they stay in place while you weed.
Slow cutting is better and you can get blades for cutting small stuff, love seeing how small I can actually cut things.
The one below was cut vinyl(2 color) that I put pointing to redline on the tacho.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited: