• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Traffic Signs

lswan

I work for a small public works department, and our department is looking into buying a traffic sign printer so we can reface/create traffic signs on aluminum blanks. Nobody here has experience in doing this, and my boss thinks we can do this on the cheap (<$10k!). What types of printers/media/design programs should we be looking into? (I am aware of the MUTCD standards and the need to use reflective material.) How much should we expect to spend?

skyhigh

I work for a small public works department, and our department is looking into buying a traffic sign printer so we can reface/create traffic signs on aluminum blanks. Nobody here has experience in doing this, and my boss thinks we can do this on the cheap (<$10k!). What types of printers/media/design programs should we be looking into? (I am aware of the MUTCD standards and the need to use reflective material.) How much should we expect to spend?

If you want a "traffic sign PRINTER" to print on HIP, you need to spend about 10x your $10k

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Too answer your question...

There is no printer durable or able to print directly on to retro reflective in that price range. You can print on a clear and apply that to your sign face "BUT" you will not be MUTCD compliant as the color has to be reflective too, the print will be too opaque

The printer that is recommended (Durst Rho 161TS) is somewhere in the 125-150k+range.

I recommend a vinyl cutter and cut the traffic film and apply it over the reflective/blank
I suggest a T-Series Summa. (around 6-10k)

Then there is the software... One of them is "trafficad" and that will set you back 5,000 bucks with all the artwork, design and cutting software... http://www.trafficad.com/trafficad_upgrades.html That might be too much software for what you need.

I have designed MUTCD signs in Illustrator (50 bucks a month), then send the layout to Flexi-Sign (2,000 bucks) (you can even use Flexi-Starter or a bridge program for the basic signs you are doing-some vendors throw in the software for free or a few hundred bucks)

Good Luck!

fresh

my mishmash of thoughts:
  • What is the largest size sign you need to make? This is what determines the size of printer you need.
  • Before jumping into this full-force, you may want to consider outsourcing some of the printing, and do the application at your shop. You will see how difficult it can be before spending money on equipment.
  • Do some research on the cost of the reflective blanks. They are VERY expensive.
  • Aren't most traffic signs silk screened or manufactured using cut vinyl, not printed?
  • No, I do not think you can get the job done for under $10K. Maybe under $25K is possible.

fresh

agree, but when someone who is looking for info on sign making to avoid doing business with any sign shops what do you expect?

With that thinking, there should never, ever be any "newbies" since they are going to take away from an established business. Noticed this person said "small public works department"? People can't both complain about their ever-skyrocketing tax costs and then fault an organization who tries to lower costs.

Think before you speak.

skyhigh

Too answer your question...

There is no printer durable or able to print directly on to retro reflective in that price range. You can print on a clear and apply that to your sign face "BUT" you will not be MUTCD compliant as the color has to be reflective too, the print will be too opaque

The printer that is recommended (Durst Rho 161TS) is somewhere in the 125-150k+range.

I recommend a vinyl cutter and cut the traffic film and apply it over the reflective/blank
I suggest a T-Series Summa. (around 6-10k)

Then there is the software... One of them is "trafficad" and that will set you back 5,000 bucks with all the artwork, design and cutting software... http://www.trafficad.com/trafficad_upgrades.html That might be too much software for what you need.

I have designed MUTCD signs in Illustrator (50 bucks a month), then send the layout to Flexi-Sign (2,000 bucks) (you can even use Flexi-Starter or a bridge program for the basic signs you are doing-some vendors throw in the software for free or a few hundred bucks)

Good Luck!

Don't forget a special applicator (for a few more thousand $$). Ya don't put HIP down with a squeegie.

With that thinking, there should never, ever be any "newbies" since they are going to take away from an established business. Noticed this person said "small public works department"? People can't both complain about their ever-skyrocketing tax costs and then fault an organization who tries to lower costs.

Think before you speak.

Re-think before you speak :Big Laugh
This isn't a newbie sign shop. This is a municipality or public works simply doing their own work, so they don't have to go to a sign shop.

MikePro

Shame you'd rather not bother going to a sign shop, sign guys are kinda cool, but everyone's got their own-way, I guess.
Instead, maybe go to a merchant member here on the forums?
they'll take good care of ya, and an order can be as simple as an email everytime you need more stuff sent to ya in a pinch.

DIY DOT sign guy, on the other-hand, easily $20-30k spent by the time you make your first street sign. equipment, software, media, materials, training, wasted product, and many other eggs in the basket. who's flipping this bill anyways? o, right, I am...
outsourcing = less risk = less wasted time = less failure = less overhead = more efficient government. just sayin'.

Tom Dalton

For big signs, see...
http://matanprinters.com/products/traffic-printer/

Usually you thermally print using transparent foils.

The only thing that would be cheap enough is an old gerber edge II for 5$k (with suitable plotter for contour cutting).

On an Edge you can thermally print onto clear high performance vinyl (using a transparent foil for your background color). Then, overprint with a UV clear coat to extend the durability. Then apply that clear/transparent decal to a white reflective sign blank.

Not only do you have the cost of the equipment, you also have the man hours involved in the learning curve of understanding the design software and the equipment and the materials.

Best Regards,
Tom
SignsDirect.com

Z SIGNS

Don't let these guys scare you away.
I work with several public works depts. that have their own plotter and make their own signs.The relationship is great.It's win win.They make all the no parking signs and give us all the work that they can't handle.
I wish more public works would do the same so I can foster even more beneficial relationships
Most traffic signs are cut vinyl applied to reflective blanks so it's a plotter not a printer you want.For $10,000 you could get a nice
plotter and software that would work for you.
As far as the learning curve goes it's not that hard it's not rocket science.Before the plotter came out it took some skill and talent to produce a speed limit 65 sign.Now a days cutting vinyl and applying it to a substrate is not a skill.
Good luck

Tom Dalton

Most traffic signs are cut vinyl applied to reflective blanks so it's a plotter not a printer you want.

It really depend on if they are traffic signs or street name signs. For a street name sign, an edge works great. I also think it is fine for 12"x18" signs. For large signs...it is not a good fit. For large orange road construction signs.. use reflective orange blanks and black cut vinyl. For yellow caution signs.. use reflective yellow blanks and black cut vinyl. For stop and yield signs... order them pre-made. Just my humble opinion. I'm not saying you'll save any money. But if you're doing it, that is the approach that I'd take.

Tom
SignsDirect

d fleming

Plot vinyl or a one arm sqeegee table for screen printing. Most of the traffic signs I have produced over the years are 4x4, aluminum to spec, coat with reflective to spec, print, stack to dry. If you need to print mesh, use plastisol t-shirt ink, run through conveyor dryer. 10k isn't going to get you far.

boxerbay

yup you need a plotter GRAPHTEC FC8000-160 - $8K
then you need someone that knows illustrator to run it - 35K/yr ~ maybe? depends on your available labor pool.

like Mosh says "it is not rocket appliances"

skyhigh

They make all the no parking signs and give us all the work that they can't handle.
I wish more public works would do the same so I can foster even more beneficial relationships

I would think it would be more beneficial if you made the "No Parking" signs also. :Big Laugh