• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Probably my last routed sign

theskipman_98

Here is a simple routed 911 sign I just finished routed on our Dimension 200.
9"hX18"w, 1" HDU, with a clean out of 1/4", bordered, with a bevel cut on the outside. Primed with Zinsser block spray primer, sprayed Rustolium gloss meadow green, and hand did the white raised lettering and border with one shot white. (I can hear the "gasps" from here)

the beveled edge, that created a shelf under the border, I did by accident...chalk it up to something new I learned to do (fine time to learn it). It was done by using a 1/2" V bit that cut to a depth of .5" into the material (I plunged it too far) and it ended up like that. Clean out and numbers done with a 1/4" bit, and same with the final cut.

Simple and quick.

Attachments

• sign1.jpg
    sign1.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 124
  • sign2.jpg
    sign2.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 111
  • edge1.jpg
    edge1.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 121

theskipman_98

Found out two weeks ago, owner is going to close the doors, and might be auctioning off everything by Sept or October.:frustrated:

By the way anyone here reading this, I have heard people who are in business talk about business plans, marketing to your area, know your customer base, check the business out before to assume a business, well here are things that can lead to downfalls.

Between overhead, her loan to buy the business at a 10% rate, and everything else, she said she can't do it anymore.

The person floating the loan here, also owns a billboard company ( this shop use to do all types of signs, when it was sold, the sign shop went one way, and the billboard side the original owner kept) which we have a noncompeting clause with. I was told I couldn't even design a layout for one. Well come to find out the billboard company has also been doing signs for local festivals, supplier for other local sign shops, etc. The clause was not written so it was a two way street.

Another thing that's been hurting IMHO is our pricing has been in the low-baller territory. For example the first attachment is a 12ft box truck with Edge printed graphics and Oracal vinyl, the owner was charged $495 for (originally charged $595, but he B&M'ed over it because he thought the sides were going to be bigger even though he signed off). The second was approx $600-$800 ea. (we did 4 of them)and it's all 280i reflective, with Edge printed on 280i.
Neither had layout or design time added in the bill (since I've been here no one has paid design time). and the police car was a PIA because of all the tweaks the customer wanted to put in it (the design was originally on a Dodge Charger).

Your decision to go into business then go out of business does not just affect you, it affects your employees... I've got a job I love, and it's hard to imagine working anywhere else... esp when the biggest industries around here are farms and chicken plants...

Sorry for venting on something that only needed a 2 sec reply....

Attachments

• advantage.jpg
    advantage.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 115
  • poco police.jpg
    poco police.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 110

Lunatic Taskbar

Have you considered getting backing and buying the business from them? They would be better off making a little than making nothing. Just something to consider.

Checkers

I doubt the owners are interested in talking. After all (and I'm not saying it's your fault), you were there when they got into this mess. They may partiall blame you for their woes too.
I would seriously try talking to the owners and the bank that they financed through. With you taking over the business, you wouldn't have all the restrictions the current owners have and stand a better chance to be more profitable.
Get a plan together and make the pitch. Since you're just an employee and probably a little short on the cash-flow, it probably will take some creative financing. However, if you can put a plan together and pull this off, selling signs would be easy.
If the bank doesn't negotiate, go to the auction and start your own business anyway.

Checkers

theskipman_98

I doubt the owners are interested in talking. After all (and I'm not saying it's your fault), you were there when they got into this mess. They may partiall blame you for their woes too.
I would seriously try talking to the owners and the bank that they financed through. With you taking over the business, you wouldn't have all the restrictions the current owners have and stand a better chance to be more profitable.
Get a plan together and make the pitch. Since you're just an employee and probably a little short on the cash-flow, it probably will take some creative financing. However, if you can put a plan together and pull this off, selling signs would be easy.
If the bank doesn't negotiate, go to the auction and start your own business anyway.

Checkers

Yeah, I ask myself if there was somethings I could do better, I guess being fairly new myself I wasn't the golden boy they though I was (or I thought I was). I only started here a little over a year ago after the 2 other employee's (designer and production) walked out. Yeah, I'm sure my inexperience in this has led to this too.

As far as purchasing the business, there is no way I could. My credit is shot and I've been living paycheck to paycheck as it is ( hell I drive a $900 car that is 18 years old). I did think I about coming to the auction, but probably all I could afford are some supplies for my plotter at home.

Starting today I was told no new jobs at all. Customers have called in all morning, and of course I have had to tell they about the doors shutting, they suggested the same, for me to go into business for myself...they seem to have more confidence in me than I have in me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I meant buying the business outright along with the bank, also.

Look for some investors. Show them a plan and some numbers and how they can benefit and see if you can make it work.

Otherwise..... have you thought of re-locating??

Poconopete

YStarting today I was told no new jobs at all. Customers have called in all morning, and of course I have had to tell they about the doors shutting, they suggested the same, for me to go into business for myself...they seem to have more confidence in me than I have in me.
So you're giving them your phone number, right?

iSign

I'm sure this will sound like a longshot... and of course it is.. (but not as long a shot as doing nothing) ...look for a smart savvy & well funded business man who buys a lot of signs. Show this guy the potential to walk away from an auction with everything needed for a signshop, besides a key employee. Let him know you are willing to work hard & help him make a profitable business out of it, and maybe you could make it happen. Maybe you could suggest a base pay, plus profit sharing, so you have extra incentive to make it profitable. (you're right, the other owner was a lowballer with those prices... no wonder the phone's ringing... but nobody's home anymore. I hope other lowballers are listening)

theskipman_98

Just wanted to thank you all for the advise given.

I'm going to try to hit family up for some money to go to the auction, and I have had a person I know telling me the lease is up on his building in 3 mos. (It use to be a 2 bay auto garage with a side building and office space, and actually has a small parking lot.) I'll have to find out how much it is a month...but ppl around here put stupidly high rents on the buildings, and would sooner let them sit empty than budge on rent.

But thanks again guys... It's great getting advise from people who are there, or have been there.

theskipman_98

well everything fell through. I've ended up having to relocate to Fayetteville, NC. Been here now since last Wednesday. Job hunting sucks and no one is hiring. Was hoping to get on with a local sign shop here in Fayettevile, but it seems no one is hiring even though there are so many sign shops here you could just throw a stone and hit one. Guess I could bump my plea for employment...

Well Doom and Gloom :Big Laugh