• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems on the job

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
I quoted a vinyl job on a large tool truck for a construction company. It's a big, very old, ugly dude that they wanted lettered. Between the time that i came out and measured and the installation was about 3 weeks. In that time they used some "HOME DEPOT PAINT" to freshen up the appearance. When i cleaned it with alcohol the paint actually rubs off! And masking tape barely sticks to it. Id' like to save the job and use the vinyl lettering that i have cut out already. Does anyone have any ideas on how i can prep this crummy surface and make it more vinyl receptive? It's been about 3 weeks since they painted it.

RebeckaR

What kind of Home Depot paint?
Acrylic base will come off with alcohol. Did they use house paint to paint their truck?

ProWraps

requote the job to do what it takes to do it right.

they changed the scope of the project, not you.

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for the replies. Prowraps has the best idea....but still i'm thinking of spraying the latex with frogjuice and than applying the vinyl lettering. What are the odds of that working?

iSign

Run away!!
Did you get a deposit?

Requote the job as " cut vinyl only" and refund or request the difference..

You quoted installing on a truck, not a toxic waste heap... it's not your job to figure out what chance you have of a little lettering install damaging your reputation...

Just tell them to give it two more weeks, and do a tape test...

Billct2

I'd call them and ask them what they painted it with (sounds like house paint or latex metal paint), the explain the error of their choice. Then outline the options, along with the risks of failure of each. Applying the lettering to aluminum may be the best solution, and they can transfer the panels to another truck if this one dies.

surf city

Cool, gonna be a fleet of 20 trucks with Behr house paint on them.........slick. Call them, explain what they did wrong, and why you're vinyl will not stick to the substrate that they altered after you quoted the job. Tell them you want to work with them and make it a win, win situation for you and them. If they don't understand or won't work with you on it then bail. Better yet don't call them go there and speak with the boss and explain yourself.