• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with Triangle Ink

Jack Knight1979

Anyone else having problems with Triangle lately? I've used them for about three years with very little heart ache.

This about two months ago I had a bad bottle of black that caused all kinds of clogging. My vendor sent me a new bottle from a different lot and black is now printing fine.

Now I'm printing and 11' x 65' banner that has to ship Monday and my magenta head can only do about ten passes before clogging. I've never had this much aggravation from Triangle, so I wanted to see if anyone else has had issues as of late.

Yes. I've changed the dampers, flushed the lines, and head. Nothing works. The ink is BAD. Happened not to long after the new ink went in the tank.

ProWraps

just out of curiosity, how much does aftermarket ink save you? we are at a level where we are burning through about 10 220ml carts a week or more. next week we will probably burn through 20+ (we are printing 15 sprinter busses).

i had a guy come in and almost refused to leave until i heard him out about his bulk ink system. ive always been against it as i was under the understanding that the savings were nominal and the problems were probable.

so anyways, to stay on topic, how much would you say it saves you and although you are having problems now, normally do you see the same quality and are the savings worth it?

thewood

We've used Triangle JVS inks for 5+ years. I haven't had any issues with the ink.

What Triangle ink are you using?

ProWraps, the savings are significant (I can PM you if want to know how much)--not to mention the convenience of uninterrupted printing. I actually prefer the output over the OEM inks--especially the magenta.

nate

This about two months ago I had a bad bottle of black that caused all kinds of clogging. My vendor sent me a new bottle from a different lot and black is now printing fine.

We've had all sorts of problems with two different batches of black MLD ink. Clogs, clogs, clogs. I wonder what's going on over there?

The other five colors are working fine at the moment.

dman0427

I know someone who was having problems with this recently. It was about a month ago.
He said it was a bad batch and it was only the black ink as well.

Sounds like its not an isolated case.

Jack Knight1979

that's funny. My vendor asked Triangle if they knew of any problems with their black ink. Triangle denied any issues. I love this forum because we now have proof that they did have a bad batch. People will start having problems with magenta next.

Luckily my vendor is awesome and got me a new bottle of black. I know they will take care of me with the magenta, but it still messes up my day.

To answer the question on savings I think we saved something like 20k on ink cost last year by using bulk ink. I burned through one head because of the ink. Still saved a ton of money. It's worth it for my company. Although you have to be technically savvy to keep the system going smoothly. It's is no where near as easy to run as an OEM setup. I miss the ease of OEM at times, but not when I get my ink bill.

We run MLD inks here on our Roland.

Jack Knight1979

Okay. So here's the update. My vendor happily sent me a new bottle of ink to make sure it was not the particular bottle in question.

After replacing the ink I still am having problems. I pulled the head and it appears the head is toast.

There is a rubber seal under the stainless steel cover that surrounds the nozzle plate. That gasket is gone. The ink ate it away. That being said. The head is three years old and past it's firing expectancy so I can't blame the ink on this one.

Although I did have a bad set of black about six weeks ago.

False alarm. Triangle is still okay.

Jack Knight1979

It's over.

So after a ton of work and about two weeks of down time this is what finally happened.

It all started with magenta going out. I knew at that point it was the ink, but Triangle wanted to go through hoops. They assured me it wasn't the ink, blah, blah, blah.

I changed dampers, heads, o-rings, lines, tank filters, and tried three different lots of ink. Still didn't work. (i did about ten other things, but not worth making a huge list)

Then it started happening with cyan after I introduced a new bottle of ink. At that point I said the heck with it and flushed the system out and put OEM in.

Problem fixed. Triangle is now shipping a sub-standard product.
My vendor has been great and even shipped ink from different locations to make sure it wasn't stored incorrectly at one facility.

The only thing that fixed the problem was getting rid of triangle ink.

It's too bad because I prefer Triangle over OEM for performance, color and cost. If it actually worked that would be great.

I used it for three years and had two heads burn out. Which didn't bother me since I saved SO much money. Otherwise it was a pretty good ink, until now.

I wanted to thank Mike @ Merritt for helping me get some jobs out on time and Jim Hancock for offering me about three hours of his time over the phone for tech support.

Triangle users watch out!

GTSTech_1

Was the Head with the wornout gasket an OEM head? I ask because I have 2 dozen shops on Trangle and they have no reported problems. Traingle hasn't changed the formula. Smells like a china head, not a japan head.

My .02

Jack, I question the "Jim Hancock for offering me about three hours of his time over the phone for tech support." part. Where did you get the support from?

nate

Problem fixed. Triangle is now shipping a sub-standard product.
My vendor has been great and even shipped ink from different locations to make sure it wasn't stored incorrectly at one facility.

The only thing that fixed the problem was getting rid of triangle ink.

It's too bad because I prefer Triangle over OEM for performance, color and cost. If it actually worked that would be great.

I used it for three years and had two heads burn out. Which didn't bother me since I saved SO much money. Otherwise it was a pretty good ink, until now.

Triangle users watch out!

It looks like Triangle has merged with MegaInk....

http://www.megaink.biz/index.php?page=press_release091001

Could explain a lot here....

Jack Knight1979

Japan head (OEM). It had about 7.5 billion shots on it, so it was time. Which was why I replaced it. I wasn't shocked that it died.

The new head did not fix the problem,(that shocked me) nor did six rounds of dampers, new o-rings, new tank filters, adjusted tank height, or three different lots of ink.

As soon as I flushed the lines and put OEM in it worked like a charm.

As far as the tech support question goes. I was just looking for advice.
I can rebuild "component level" head board in an hour. I build 10k / 225lbs custom robots for toys. I can also change a print head on a printer and diagnose viscosity issues as easy as the next guy.

The reason I'm so frustrated is because the ink should have worked. However it didn't.

Another key thing to remember here is that both sides of the head went at the EXACT same time. Shortly after I put in a new bottle of ink.

The only thing going through two sets of lines, filters, dampers to the head is THE INK.

For me their performance has gone down over the last six months and really hit the floor over the last three months. By performance I'm mean clogged nozzles, intermittent cleanings during printing, etc.

I'm not looking for a flame war here or for people to judge my ability to replace parts on a simple machine. I wanted to make a potential problem aware to my fellow sign shop owners so a serious problem can be avoided.

This has practically closed my doors. I really thought it was my machine as Triangle guaranteed me it wasn't the ink. I didn't want to pay another 1600.00 out for Roland ink and have it not work, but the change did work.

The evidence is stacked pretty high against the ink at this point. I replaced the ENTIRE ink train and the only thing that resolved the problem was a different ink manufacturer. Seems pretty simple to me.

If you are using Triangle and love it than great. I've used it loyally for three years and never had a serious problem until now. Any little hiccups that occurred were happily taken care of by my rep. I prefer the Triangle color gamut, price, performance and ability to print on a wide range of materials.

I do not like how when anything goes wrong Triangle blames you for the problem and won't help you.

I'm stepping off my soap box. This is what happened to me. I wanted to share my story and speak with others who may have been affected by Triangle inks of late. I have talked to people who have had problems lately. I have also talked to people who have had no issues. This is my story. I wish I could still use Triangle ink. I love the stuff, but it's not working in my machine so I have to move on.

Last edited:

mark in tx

Just wondering who you have talked to at Triangle ink, I've always had great service when I get past the phone answering person.

Jack Knight1979

Sorry. I misunderstood.

I'm not supposed to say. The guy at Triangle made it a point to tell me many times that I wasn't even supposed to talk with them and that he would be getting in trouble for even talking to me.

That made me feel really great.