• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Producing Floor Graphics

paul luszcz

Do you need to oversize the laminate on a floor graphic? We have an image and are placing a cut line about .75" from the print. Do we go an additional amount for the laminate cut line and if so, how do you do it? Is it print-cut-lam-cut? Do you weed it in between? Or is print-lam-cut sufficient?

Last edited:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Another thread on this just a couple of days ago. I posted how we did it here. In my opinion the extra laminate around the edge is really only needed - or even a good idea - if the graphic is intended to be down a long time.

http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=80465

Keep in mind removal if you do it this way. The laminate has a permanent adhesive and it could damage certain types of floors when removed. Like hardwood, or something where the adhesive could "soak" into the wood itself. On a commercial tile floor (typical type that gets stripped and waxed every few years) it's not going to be a big deal. I have had floor graphics when removed - even short term pull the wax up with it on removal leaving a nice dull area where the graphic was. Stripping and re-waxing the floor takes care of this but you need to be sure your customer is informed of this sort of possibility.

If you do want to do the double cut style leaving an extra 3/4 inch of laminate around the edge you essentially need to setup 2 cuts and 2 sets of registration marks. The inner cut needs to take a strip out - I did ours an inch strip - right to the graphic and 1 inch away. The second cut was 3/4 of an inch outside the graphic but the registration marks for the second cut were setup to be about an inch and a half outside the graphic. This was the first cut does not cut the second cut jobs marks off. We just ran the unlaminated print through the cutter and ran the first cut job, then weed, laminate the roll, then run the laminated roll through and run the second cut job. Sorta tough to explain but it works perfectly.