• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Production Manager on Network

signbeth

Please help.

I had been able to send to job to a Graphtec plotter through the network to the production manager on another computer so I know it can be done.
It has been over a year though since I set that up.

Two weeks ago my computer crashed and I had to set everything back up. Reload software, set up network, etc. etc. Network is working fine but I cannot figure out how to network the plotter on the other computer. Both computers have XP and their own version of Flexi 7.6.2.

Do you make set up in your production manager? When I try to select a production manager over the network, mine is the only one that shows up. The plotter is already set up in the other production manager.
Don't you use the TCP/IP port?
What port number? I have tried them all. In my production manager it says holding for a minute then says cannot open port. One number gives me the word ready but then says cnnot open port.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks for any help you might have,

Signbeth

signbeth

A miracle happened.

His production manager showed up on my computer today with the plotter already installed. Really don't know what made it happen. Only thing I can think of was that I shared his whole C drive instead of just the job file folders. Was not an immediate fix though, because it did not show up right away that night. Sure would have saved me a lot of frustration if it had!

Signbeth

signbeth

Just as mysterious, now I can't send jobs to that plotter.
I cannot find the other production manager.

He had to turn off and restart his computer because of a freeze up and now I get the message "cannot find any servers on the network"

I have rebooted both computers. Everything else about the network seems to be working.

I am stumped. Any suggestions?

Signbeth

signage

Log into your router and check the staus log. can you ping each computer on your network? Do you have firewalls, what operating systems and what service pack(s)?

signbeth

Brian,

Router was set up before computer crash. No router software to be found. Not sure how to ping, but I can access files on his computer. And files on mine from his.

Both computers ar XP professional. Version 2002 Service pack 2
Running Norton antivius. My Norton has a fire wall option. I have got it on and windows fire wall off. His Norton doess not have a fire wall option. Only windows firewall. I turned off his windows firewall and rebooted to test if that is a problem. Still his production manager does not show up. A norton screen does pop up on his computer asking if we want to permit access, we always say permit. I have listed everything I can think of under the exceptions. My whole drive, just program files, just flexi and the the particular app that his Norton message window talks about.

thanks for responding,

Signbeth

signbeth

It turns out Norton was keeping me from using the other production manager. Even though I had included the flexi application as an exception in the fire wall portion, since flexi was already in the exceptions from the previous set-up, Norton was confused.

In a desparate mood I got online in a chat with a Norton Tech and he walked me through clearing my exceptions file and making a new one. I have to say he was really pretty helpful.

Now all is well. I can cut on the graphtec without rousting Signjack from his seat.

I thought I would post what happened to help anyone that gets stymied by this problem in the future.

Signbeth

signage

Signbeth I thought you said that you did not have Norton firewall. What I think you needed to change was acc & acp, is this correct? If you would have done a search I have stated this before on this forum. I no longer run Nortons due to other issues that would arise from time to time!

signbeth

Brian,
Norton Tech told me worm protection was same as a firewall. Sorry if I used the wrong terminology. I had done a search on this topic previously and had not hit upon anything.

Norton Tech had me go in worm protection section, then in program control and had me clear the existing settings. When I next tried to use the production manager an error message did pop up, but after I hit permit it has workrd since. Reminded me of clearing the preferences in Flexi.

I have been wondering if there was better anti-virus that would play friendlier with Flexi in a network environment. I tried MaCaffe once, it shut me down completely. What do you recommend?

Beth