• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

production 'puter online?

wes70

Just wondering how many of you have your production computers connected to the internet? This subject has been brought up from time to time. I assume a lot of smaller sign shops with one or two production computers are connected online. I have been for a long time and no problems (viruses, etc.)... I consider myself very lucky! Any thoughts on this?

Brandon708

we do. I have gotten viruses in the past and really did a number on the computer. Ever since we got Norton 360 there has been no problems. We also back-up everything online via Carbonite just in case.

WildWestDesigns

Just wondering how many of you have your production computers connected to the internet? This subject has been brought up from time to time. I assume a lot of smaller sign shops with one or two production computers are connected online. I have been for a long time and no problems (viruses, etc.)... I consider myself very lucky! Any thoughts on this?

I'm connected all the time without any problems, but it is a risk that's for sure. Thankfully I have means to get some extra "goodies" that help protect my computer above and beyond what the average person does.

If you can afford it, it would probably be safe to run one totally dedicated computer on the internet and the rest for various shop type duties. For us small shops that isn't really much of an option(at least not at this time), but even if it is in the end just a placebo, having a dedicated computer is the better way to go.

mark in tx

I have 2 computers connected to the internet, but my 2 production computers never have and never will.
Why take the risk when I don't have to?

Bill Modzel

Both my production Mac's connected 24/7. Have been since my first Macintosh Ci back in 89. I will not do any internet anything from my Parallels/XP work space though.

AUTO-FX

I dont have any problems,but i'm not connected (verizon fios) 24/7 - unless i forget to disconnect. i use AVG free , as suggested by my local comp tech. Maybe a laptop for internet WOULD be a good idea, though. but then you have an extra step for file downloads and stuff. So how do you guys work your file downloading/uploading?

WildWestDesigns

I dont have any problems,but i'm not connected (verizon fios) 24/7 - unless i forget to disconnect. i use AVG free , as suggested by my local comp tech. Maybe a laptop for internet WOULD be a good idea, though. but then you have an extra step for file downloads and stuff. So how do you guys work your file downloading/uploading?

If you are going to keep your production computer isolated from the internet then I would suggest keeping it totally isolated. Even if you use a jump drive to move files from a computer that has internet to one that is isolated you can still corrupt it with a virus that you managed to get from the internet.

You would want to have it totally isolated if you are going to do it this way.

As a small shop I can't afford to do that at this time, nor do I think it's totally necessary as there are ways to mitigate loss to where it's negligible(of course that is relative to who you are talking to), but you are going to go along the lines of isolation is the better policy then I would suggest you have total isolation of that computer(s).