• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Proper wood sign preparation

Happyprinter

This may sound like a very easy question but being new in the sign business we have had a lot of requests for signs mounted on plywood. What is the proper way to prepare the surface of plywood to apply label material to it? Paint, prime? Is there a better solution than plywood that would be cost efficient?

300mphGraphics

I try and talk every customer out of wood and into an aluminum composite material such as alumapanel or polymetal. Won't rot or de-laminate and come apart like wood and glue and doesn't require maintenance to keep up. Cost is pretty comparable.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are we really talking plywood or MDO..... or some reasonable fact simile ??

Malkin

Gino said:
Are we really talking plywood or MDO..... or some reasonable fact simile ??

*facsimile

(the more you know...)

To the OP: how much time and care you put into prep of an mdo panel is directly proportional to it's longevity and should be somewhat based on the customers expectations and how you sold it.

When we have to use mdo we charge more than if it was 10mm alite (or comparable) and do it right. Doesn't happen often.

Sign_Boy

How will these signs be used?
MDO or RTG may not be the best solution.
Have you checked with your local supplier to see if they have a board similar to this one?
It will help you to learn about some of the materials used in the biz.

Attachments

• materials.jpg
    materials.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 100

AUTO-FX

Acquiring sign substrates on an as needed basis may be a challenge in the WY area. There's 45 miles of nothing between towns, and not many towns. I'll bet plywood, not MDO, is the panel being asked about here.
I would invest in a pallet of alumacorr or something.

Happyprinter

Thank you for your suggestions. I will follow up on all of the suggestions given to see which will work best. And Auto-FX is right, there is 45-100 miles of nothing between towns in our state. Thanks again for all your help!