• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Qomolangma FMJ-1600-WA-PLUS Laminator Top Roller Cut

trafficbarriersolutions

TRAFFIC & BARRIER SOLUTIONS, LLC
Hi,
I have a Qomolangma FMJ-1600-WA-PLUS. We had this laminator back in December 2023. We ordered it off Amazon. It seems as though all of our employees have made scratches and dents from using box cutter blades. Unfortunately, these cuts are causing bubbles in our laminating. We didn't know that we were not supposed to use box cutters, knives, or any sharp objects on the top roller to remove the excess lamination as it states in the cleaning section of User's Manual. Amazon does not have a roller replacement on the Qomolangma FMJ-1600-WA-PLUS. However, the only place I could find somewhere who would have a top roller for the Qomolangma FMJ-1600-WA-PLUS would be Sign-In-Global. I understand the laminator is from China and if there is not a way to replace the top roller, then we just wasted $3k for employee negligence. Is there a way to replace the top roller or cover the cut marks with something that will fix it perfect?

IMG_3522.jpg

victor bogdanov

If it makes you feel better, know that many employees do this. Your not the first to ruin a roller this way. My flatbed laminator is near unusable due to employees pocking the roller even though I make it very clear that a knife does not go anywhere near any laminator

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I hope that the laminator has put through sufficient work to make the replacement a cost of learning curve.
I'd look up, and contact the manufacturer to see how much shipping a new top roller (with fitting instructions) costs, as well as delivery time.
Then decide if it is worth the down time, over buying a new machine.

And then have a staff training session to inform the workers of the cost of ever bringing a blade near the heart of the machine again.

trafficbarriersolutions

I hope that the laminator has put through sufficient work to make the replacement a cost of learning curve.
I'd look up, and contact the manufacturer to see how much shipping a new top roller (with fitting instructions) costs, as well as delivery time.
Then decide if it is worth the down time, over buying a new machine.

And then have a staff training session to inform the workers of the cost of ever bringing a blade near the heart of the machine again.
We all have learned our lesson on using sharp objects on the top rubber roller is a hazard of damage. However, I found an alternative to cutting without damaging the roller. Avery Dennison has a Snitty Vinyl Cutting Knife where the blade holder snaps on the laminate with a plastic bottom to prevent scratches. We can still use our cut laminator, however, it is risk using it now that the cut surfaces cause improper laminating. I have contacted Sign-In-Global because they are a seller of these types of laminators. Maybe they have a replacement roller for the Qomolangma FMJ-1600-WA-PLUS. Obviously, the User's Manual does give instructions on how to replace the top roller, so I suppose it is possible to get a replacement roller.

Humble PM

The day I got my first snitty (yellow tools via signgeer), was a day of joy!

From my limited experience, not all laminator manufacturers supply service instructions. Almost makes a 3k machine look tempting (and it has the option of vertical knives).

Humble PM

If it makes you feel better, know that many employees do this. Your not the first to ruin a roller this way. My flatbed laminator is near unusable due to employees pocking the roller even though I make it very clear that a knife does not go anywhere near any laminator
Or a sheet of dibond with a dinged corner!

trafficbarriersolutions

I do understand that! The top roller of the laminator is fragile enough to cause permanent damage. We are one of many companies who used our laminator like this. Unfortunately, it was the wrong way to cut the laminate off.

trafficbarriersolutions

The day I got my first snitty (yellow tools via signgeer), was a day of joy!

From my limited experience, not all laminator manufacturers supply service instructions. Almost makes a 3k machine look tempting (and it has the option of vertical knives).
I just got a response from Sign-In-Global. They do offer replacement rollers. Which is good news!

trafficbarriersolutions