• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about custom contour cutting decals

vinylconcepts

I am new to the print/cut world. Sorry if this question seems stupid, but.... I know how to contour cut decals that have solid print or outline. I am having trouble with a logo that has a lot of gradient shading on the outside of the solid print. Any ideas on how to custom contour the attached logo or even if it is possible? I have tried in multiple programs and don't get a clean contour line.

Just an FYI, I do know how to put an rectangle or oval around.

Thank you,

Attachments

• BTH.pdf
    132.9 KB · Views: 128

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Because its an image, you have to create the cut. Something like this, I would leave a little white along the edge, because with the fading, you won't be able to get an exact cut without at least some white showing.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Outside fades such as in your file seldom lend themselves to satisfactory contour cutting unless, and only unless, you can live with a white border around everything.

If you can then what to do would depend very much on what software you might be using. If you can't live with a white border, then there isn't any software that can help you.

Assuming you're dealing with a bitmap here, in Flexi simply make the white transparent then add a contour cut sufficiently back from the fade so as to smooth out the contour line.

Jackpine

Your profile shows you are printing with a Roland Colorcamm PC-600. Are you using the Color rip from Roland or are you printing directly from Corel? The Roland user forum has a lot of information about the use or this printer. I had one years ago but can't recall the detail steps.

vinylconcepts

I am fine with white border around it. I do cut from Corel or the color rip from Roland. I am so new to Corel that I am having trouble using the trace to get a clean line around it.

I am very good at using Vinyl Express LXi software from signwarehouse and used it contour cut to create an outline. But again because of the gradient shading I can't get anything that is clean.

I don't have Flexi but could I make the white transparent in Corel and then add contour cut to the fade and the back it up to have a white outline?

Tony McD

If you can match the background color the decal will go on, you could do a larger contour
around everything and give it the background color. This would keep your shadows more realistic.

drive

If you can match the background color the decal will go on, you could do a larger contour
around everything and give it the background color. This would keep your shadows more realistic.

I promote the use of this method whenever possible

Custom_Grafx

Not sure if considered, but if this will be stuck onto something white, you could also consider printing it on a clear vinyl... will look much more real and you won't have a white border... just a thought.

Custom_Grafx

Hi iSign, I know what you mean... but doesn't it depend on whether or not the white vinyl being used is the same white as the substrate? I've seen alot of cars driving around with this... the white is completely different on the vinyl and doesn't look that great? I know it still won't be 100% match with clear, but won't it be closer? It's a tough one though, no clear cut (no pun intended) way around it... except airbrushing.