• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about shelf life for HP700 die-cut vinyl (non printable)

Joe300i

Hi guys. I haven't logged on in a while, so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place.

I had a question about die cut vinyls (non printable). I'm a graphic designer, and design, print, and sell stickers of all types. I purchased 20 or so rolls of HP700 die cut vinyl in 2014. It's now 2019, and I'm wondering if I would still be able to offer that material to my customers.

I sell on different marketplaces, and I've been digitally printing all of my items. Now I want to get back into some designs that require cutting and weeding, such as offering custom DOT numbers, or just anything else. I have all of this material here, and I tested it out, and it peels off of the backing paper fine, and seems to stick fine as well. Has anyone else ever used material like this that has been sitting for 5+ years?

It's in a room temperature room. I'm worried that it sat so long, that the integrity of the adhesion might have been compromised or something, I don't know. I wouldn't want someone to put DOT numbers on their truck, and then have them come off a month later due to the product being old. Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to make sure to paint the right picture.

ikarasu

I believe these have a 1 year unopened shelf life. Something like 6 months after its opened.

Glue has a life expectancy... It can fail or be less effective after their 1 year warranty.

Does that mean it's not good? No... We have a few rolls that are 5+ years old. We'd never use them on something a customer expects to last... But for cheap, temporary stuff it's fine.

I would not use them for DOT numbers or.a y thing official. The cost of a 24" roll is about $100.. It's cheap enough to replace, 1-2 jobs will pay for a full roll.

700 is discontinued btw, it's been replaced with 750 if you do decide to replace it.

Joe300i

I believe these have a 1 year unopened shelf life. Something like 6 months after its opened.

Glue has a life expectancy... It can fail or be less effective after their 1 year warranty.

Does that mean it's not good? No... We have a few rolls that are 5+ years old. We'd never use them on something a customer expects to last... But for cheap, temporary stuff it's fine.

I would not use them for DOT numbers or.a y thing official. The cost of a 24" roll is about $100.. It's cheap enough to replace, 1-2 jobs will pay for a full roll.

700 is discontinued btw, it's been replaced with 750 if you do decide to replace it.

Thanks a lot for the reply, really. I appreciate it. I won't use it for customers then. I think it would probably be ok for letters on aluminum or corrugated board (to sell to customers).