• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question - Cutting after Lamination

I am having issues when I try to print then laminate then cut. It took me a minute to figure out how to get the machine to read the register marks but now the cut is just off. About a half inch or so. Are there steps I should be following when cutting after lamination? Is there a specific setting to use? The same file has no problem when its just straight print > cut with no lamination. Thanks in advance!

signheremd

Not much to go on here. What machine is doing the printing and what machine the cutting. Our old Roland requires you to position the marks a certain way and then hit the "Base Point" button, it will cut without doing that but will not read the marks before cutting and cut would be off.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Which cutter model and cutting software are you using? The lamination likely has nothing to do with the accuracy issue, especially if the sensor is able to detect and scan each mark. It's probably something on the software side of things, or the sensor needs to be properly calibrated. If you can share which model and software you are using, we should all be able to help you a lot more.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
So are you having a problem with the plotting feature when you use the "print and plot" vs when you plot colored vinyl?
How long is the run that youre trying to plot with your print and plot?

dweavers

I am having issues when I try to print then laminate then cut. It took me a minute to figure out how to get the machine to read the register marks but now the cut is just off. About a half inch or so. Are there steps I should be following when cutting after lamination? Is there a specific setting to use? The same file has no problem when its just straight print > cut with no lamination. Thanks in advance!
the bn-20 has a crop cut set up thats in the utility, but nothing here to say what machine your using

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
we used to have this issue all the time with our graphtec FC8000. IT WAS THE LAMINATION!
We had to start putting matt scotch tape over our reg marks.
This supposedly helps the software detect and read the ARM's easier.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
If your cutter(would still like to know which model) is detecting the registration marks, it's definitely not the laminate. Mark read/scan issues can definitely be a challenge, especially with high gloss or reflective materials, but if your cutter is finding the marks without problems, it's most likely a sensor calibration or tool offset issue. With the Summa cutters you can calibrate the OPOS sensor, and if your cutter has the ability to calibrate the sensor, I would give that a shot.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

dweavers

the bn-20 has a crop cut set up thats in the utility, but nothing here to say what machine your using

guillermo

to my opinion, as it happened to me before and learned from it, you may be stretching the vinyl when is being laminating, that more likely is the problem.

guillermo

to my opinion, as it happened to me before and learned from it, you may be stretching the vinyl when is being laminating, that more likely is the problem.

guillermo