• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question regarding equipment for new startup..

CodyG

Greetings all. New to the whole graphics and sticker business, decided (dont know WHY!!) to start one as a side action to be creative, make a few bucks, but mostly to offer some options to local people and friends. I have a Graphtec CE5000-120 cutter that I bought from a friend for a good price since he upgraded cutters..just have to somehow load the updated software on it. Have been looking at other cutters from sites like USCutter in the 24" range..should I buy another cutter or will the GraphTec be enough? I basically will be doing heat transfer clothing, lettering and graphics on bikes and cars, and some advertisement stickers (signs, boards, windows and doors) as well as some novelty signs. If i enjoy it like i think I will..I will branch further. I dont want to spend thousands of dollars on stuff until I know the product and customer base better. I have setup with Grimco so far..they have a small warehouse here to make it easier..but will need more options i am sure. This is not a full time thing for me. It never will be, I assume. Just a way to make some side money, make some friends, and to do something creative. I purchased Adobe Illistrator CC as that seemed to be the graphic software of choice by the forums I read, but can purchase CorelDRAW as well if thats a better route. So..question I have..should I buy another plotter or is my GraphTec 5000 good enough for now?

Jburns

yep- plenty. You can download graphtec studio software from graphtec's website, or use plug in CM2 or CM3 for your illustrator software. Go slow, do test cuts, read a ton, and dial that unit in.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I purchased Adobe Illistrator CC as that seemed to be the graphic software of choice by the forums I read, but can purchase CorelDRAW as well if thats a better route.

I would say both are capable, it's a matter of preference.
Both sides have an opinion which is best or easier. If you
have CC and have invested a considerable amount of time,
I would stick with it.

Do you have any graphic design skills? If not, you might want
to invest in a Signcraft subscription and maybe a few design/logo
design books for inspiration. There are a few sites that are inspirational,
my favorite being here---> http://www.mr-cup.com/blog.html

The Graphtec is superior to the US Cutter, it's a keeper.

CodyG

Thank you for the responses guys. I am glad to hear this older plotter is a keeper, free up some money for other items..like the $70 cutter blades!!! I dont have any graphic experience but learn pretty fast, thats why I am on this forum reading everything and watching videos when I find them!! I am going to order some cheapins vinyl from Stahls I reckon to set the plotter up and do some testing before I order the nicer stuff I will use. First I have to get the equipment ordered..figure out the plotter..then figure out where I will be buying my shirts and blanks from..then figure out pricing!! but this forum will be loads of help I am certain!!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Thank you for the responses guys. I am glad to hear this older plotter is a keeper, free up some money for other items..like the $70 cutter blades!!! I dont have any graphic experience but learn pretty fast, thats why I am on this forum reading everything and watching videos when I find them!! I am going to order some cheapins vinyl from Stahls I reckon to set the plotter up and do some testing before I order the nicer stuff I will use. First I have to get the equipment ordered..figure out the plotter..then figure out where I will be buying my shirts and blanks from..then figure out pricing!! but this forum will be loads of help I am certain!!

If you are brave enough, and have a thick skin, I suggest posting
your designs for critique. We can be a bit rough, but quite a few
of us can give you suggestions, some will even show you in a layout....
It really is worth the sting if you really want to learn.