• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Questions about T140

jdejesus

Hello all,

My studio has recently expanded its product lines and had recently acquired an HP 110. I'm now trying to do as much research for the next investment piece, a plotter. I have an opportunity to purchase a Summa T140 - 54" but I have a few basic questions I can't answer due to my lack of expertise in the sign field; my expertise is in photography.

I am wanting a cutter that would be able to take a roll from my HP latex and bring it right over to the cutter to get precision cuts. At the moment, I'm looking at cutting vinyl adhesive, which will be transferred over to coroplast signs. I also will be starting to cut vinyl/printed vinyl to make t shirts and stickers. Lastly (and I'm not sure if this application is even doable), I would like for the cutter to be used as a die machine for delicate glossy prints. For example if I have a package the consists of (1) 8x10, (2) 5x7, (8) wallets, I could place all of the images onto one roll sheet from my aqueous printer and then transfer that sheet over to the Summa and have the machine cut it.

I have tried looking for a wiki page or some sort of version history regarding these printers and have come up short. From what I believe, the T140 was replaced by the S140T, followed by the S2 140T. Maybe there might be another model or two that I'm missing out. I know the S140T was around in 2011, and would like to know the approximate age the T140. I do know that all series printers are Tangential; are there any major (or even minor) differences that are worth mentioning?

I've read other posts from people saying it's perfectly alright to get a 15 year old Summa, as the fundamental technology has not changed. I've also read a lot of posts of people saying that Summa is outstanding with their customer service to the people who use their product. If there are any major malfunctions in my future, will Summa be able to help me out or will I be stuck with a large deadweight? Will there be any major fails that will cost in the thousands to fix?

Thanks to those that take the time to read and respond to my questions. -Josh

FrankW

The age (or better said production month) of summa machines can be easily seen by checking the serial number, digit 3 to 6.

The T140s, if it is a SummaSign ("T140" is no clearly name), were produced up to 2005. I would NOT recommend to use a SummaSign as a contour cutter even if it is equipped with OPOS, because there are some big differences between the OPOS-Systems of this machines and the newer OPOS X. Specially a functionality to compensate heat effects to the vinyl when printed on a latex printer, OPOS XY, will not work with that old OPOS-System ... the same with OPOS Barcode, OPOS Panelling and so on. Another functionality missing is the possibility to make kisscut and flexcut in one job driven by software.

Other issue with that "old" tangential cutters: they are very stable, but one part what mostly is the first which is worn out is unfortunately the most expensive part: the tangential head. A typical issue is a mechanical issue what lead to uneven cut lines. Buying a new tangential head for this old machines is mostly an economical total loss. In this case a S-Class from 2005 is the better choice: their cutting heads will not have this problem for the same reasons. For a long time, Summa in Europe have rebuild this head for half the price of a new one, but they stop doing that. With this machines it is possible to mount a drag head (much cheaper), but for this a new OPOS sensor is needed too.

If contour cutting is important for you, check out for a S-Class (from 2005) or a SummaCUT R-Model (or "Pharos" drag head, from 2007), with the OPOS X-Sensor.

FrankW

Youre welcome. In this case, if it is a summasign, they are good for vinyl plotting, but not "state-of-the-art" for contour cutting.