• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quick Printer turned sign guy.

Berferful

I've been in the printing biz since 1976. We've always looked for new capabilities to keep our business from going stale. We started cutting vinyl a few years ago, but our best recent investment has been the 54" Rolland solvent printer. Signs, banners. tradeshow signage has lifted our bottom line when the printing and copying have gone flat. I hoping to learn tips and tricks from this forum. Right now I'm looking for a laminator. We currently have a 42" hot laminator that I have adapted to accept cold laminating material. The problem is that I'm getting bubbles and wrinkles when mounting, not to mention the limited size.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Welcome berberful... tell us about your laminator problems... are they consistently the same and a result of the conversion to cold laminating? Bubbles indicate that you aren't getting enough pressure on the rollers... wrinkles are either technique or tension.

spectracolor

Welcome~
I was on the similar path...Used to be One Hour Photo only business which has pretty much has gone.

Good luck with the Roland. I just love it :)

Baz

Welcome from Québec, Canada :Canada: Your laminator issues sure sound like a pressure problem. Time to invest in a good one to compliment your printer. Search the forum ... There's allot of laminator info posted!

Signguyno1

:Welcome:
Quick Printers!
When the economy fails and business's tank and thier quick print needs dissappear, the quick printers jump to making signs ( with all thier previous sign experience) as every business needs signs.

The sign business is a gold mine, but when business's tank, the sign business get's the shaft.:Oops:

I think I'll open a laundramat, as everyone will be taken to the cleaners!:rolleyes::wavingflag:

BobM

Welcome from Cape Cod. I hope you saved the bailing machine from the printing business cause you'll be needing it for all the easy money in the sign business.

Berferful

Welcome berberful... tell us about your laminator problems... are they consistently the same and a result of the conversion to cold laminating? Bubbles indicate that you aren't getting enough pressure on the rollers... wrinkles are either technique or tension.
Thanks,
My problem occurred mounting vinyl on 3'x4' sintra. I first laminated to stiffen up the vinyl without incident, but the mounting was less successful. I did 9 boards and about half needed attention afterwards purging bubbles and fixing a few wrinkles. Any techniques on holding the backing paper or adjusting the roller pressure until I can replace this thing?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK.

Thanks,
My problem occurred mounting vinyl on 3'x4' sintra. I first laminated to stiffen up the vinyl without incident, but the mounting was less successful. I did 9 boards and about half needed attention afterwards purging bubbles and fixing a few wrinkles. Any techniques on holding the backing paper or adjusting the roller pressure until I can replace this thing?
The solution is less complicated than you might think.