• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Random white line across width of print!

NickVonB

Nickvonb
Hi Guys,

We are currently running wallpaper through our Roland AJ-1000 and are experiencing completely random white lines across the width of the print.

Some info:

1. Roland AJ-1000 (fully updated) / Rip in Versaworks (fully updated)
2. Artwork: Tiff, flattened - no compression (average size 600MB)
3. printing 3 pass - custom wallpaper profile
4. Print size: 1.3M x 11.3M / Each
5. Roll size: 50M ( we get x 4 prints per roll )
6. artwork construction: 3 files nested (1st is repeated, 2nd & 3rd not repeated), tile spacing=0, error diffusion on.

problem:
White line across width of print, approx. 1mm or less thick - all heads are not firing on the line. The line is mid-band (so not a calibration issue) and is visible as of first pass, the printer does not 'overprint' on the second and third pass, but instead misses the same line...

fixes tried so far:
1. replace linear encoder strip
2. replace linear encoder reader module
3. replace main board + head board
4. replace head belt motor
5. replaced several heads
6. gone to older versions of firm ware
7. replaced ribbon cables on head
8. wired up x 4 connections on machine to earth against static
9. re-rip / re-import / re-start pc...

what is strange is the following: the line appears completely random, not at a band, nor a design repeat, but completely random in the print, for example we could have one at 3M, next at 8M and another at 8.5M...

Also we would print the same design say in a blue color-way with no lines, but then print it in charcoal and get lines..I then re-colored the blue (good) artwork to charcoal only to find the line is back?

We are completely stumped and neither Roland South Africa or Japan have any answers..anyone experienced this before or have any possible solutions?

We are now suspecting versaworks in corrupting the Tiff file?

Desperate to find solution!

Attachments

• DSC02583.jpg
    DSC02583.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 110

NickVonB

Nickvonb
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedback!

Problem is that these files were created in Photoshop and saved as Tiff's.
The designer ( whom I cannot get hold off due to issues he has with my client), has saved certain artworks WITH layers and others with MERGED layers...this makes exporting them difficult as they may not all have editing capabilities. Secondly these images are extremely color sensitive and all prints need to match exactly (saved as colour profile Adobe RGB 1998 ) and hence if I save them as pdf or jpeg this changes the colour?!..

Now I know that one can switch off anti-aliasing in Illustrator but not in photoshop?

Any ideas how I could work on these images to remove the anti-aliasing? Photshop cs 3 or other?