• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Re-making old logos CopyRight?

Quickcope

So I have a customer who is rebuilding a car... He is at the stage where he needs the stripes and decals... Is there some sort of waiver I can have him sign releasing me from copy right infringement for re-making the old decals?
I have made decals in the past but made them my way and not like the original.. this time they want it exact... Should I just pass on the job.. not worth the trouble for couple hundred bucks.. Interested to see how others have remedied this

letterman7

Since it's end-user, there shouldn't be any issues with recreating what was there. Typical striping packages and logos (like Pontiac's "the Judge") are offered through many aftermarket outlets, so I doubt something like that is copyrighted. Not enough info to say for sure - what exactly are you wanting to recreate?

qmr55

Since it's end-user, there shouldn't be any issues with recreating what was there. Typical striping packages and logos (like Pontiac's "the Judge") are offered through many aftermarket outlets, so I doubt something like that is copyrighted. Not enough info to say for sure - what exactly are you wanting to recreate?

1. they are definitely copyrighted.

2. as mentioned above they are available through aftermarket outlets, which almost makes it pointless for you to go about redrawing and laying them out. just purchase through an outlet, mark them up, and make some profit.

royster13

And even if you get a waiver, if your client does not "have a pot to **** in", the lawyers will name everyone.....Do you you have adequate liability insurance to cover trademark / copyright infringement?....

SignManiac

DNA and fingerprints all over and underneath the vinyl. You will go to prison for a minimum of thirty years.

Mosh

I belt-sanded my fingerprints off years ago....and as for my DNA, that is another story!

letterman7

1. they are definitely copyrighted.

2. as mentioned above they are available through aftermarket outlets, which almost makes it pointless for you to go about redrawing and laying them out. just purchase through an outlet, mark them up, and make some profit.

Specific logos (as mentioned, the Judge), typestyles and vehicle emblems are. I can't see where the manufacturers can copyright a stripe. Really, if I'm restoring a Mustang and it originally had the GT500 stripe down the side, do you think I'm going to an outside licensed outlet to purchase those? I wouldn't either for a customer restoring the same. Save but a very few automobile manufacturers protect their brands and enforce any "infringement". Sorry if you think it's wrong - make the replacement decals and be done with it.

qmr55

Specific logos (as mentioned, the Judge), typestyles and vehicle emblems are. I can't see where the manufacturers can copyright a stripe. Really, if I'm restoring a Mustang and it originally had the GT500 stripe down the side, do you think I'm going to an outside licensed outlet to purchase those? I wouldn't either for a customer restoring the same. Save but a very few automobile manufacturers protect their brands and enforce any "infringement". Sorry if you think it's wrong - make the replacement decals and be done with it.

No, stripes aren't copyrighted. I thought that was kind of obvious?

As for the "decals" that the OP mentioned are those copyrighted? You bet your *** they are.

trimitbyrich

Honestly we've been doing this type of work for going on 30 years now. We have NEVER had an issue with duplicating stripes or logos. I repeat NEVER. We have had issues with posting the same things on EBay and a website but never on a clients vehicle. Who do you expect is going to see this job and get you in trouble over it? The copyright police? Look, your client will have some new stripes on his newly painted ride. He'll be sitting at a car show and be asked hey where'd you get that done. Be proud when he tells them you did, now you got word of mouth advertising that you can't buy. Do the job.

CP Signs

I remember reading a post a while ago about a shop with a big Shreck decal on their window with the words, come on in,,, or something like that. Now that is a giant no no. Around here, even the local NHL team encourages us to do their logo for any customer. The Catapilar head office sends people to us for their Cat logos because it's cheaper, the John Deere dealership does the same and the local GM dealer gets us to cut the stripes for new Camaro. I could go on and on. Maybe it all depends the area you live in. The same goes for permits. Some play by the book and some never get them (, I know a few places, been doing it for over, 10 years ). Just my.02

genericname

Honestly we've been doing this type of work for going on 30 years now. We have NEVER had an issue with duplicating stripes or logos. I repeat NEVER. We have had issues with posting the same things on EBay and a website but never on a clients vehicle. Who do you expect is going to see this job and get you in trouble over it? The copyright police? Look, your client will have some new stripes on his newly painted ride. He'll be sitting at a car show and be asked hey where'd you get that done. Be proud when he tells them you did, now you got word of mouth advertising that you can't buy. Do the job.

So ability to get caught is a measure of legality now? Pfft.

ThinkRight

I belt-sanded my fingerprints off years ago....and as for my DNA, that is another story!

If you have a bone marrow transplant , it will give you the donors DNA, do that a couple of times and you will be a new person.

You can then call yourself Moesha.

TopFliteGraphics

What kind of car are you doing? I actually reproduce a bunch of muscle car stripes, especially Dodge & Plymouth ones since I am a Mopar nut.