• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Realistic Proofs

max86

I do a lot of power sports wraps such as snowmobiles, dirt bikes, waverunners, and ATVs. I usually just show proofs laid out on the template, but have recently started trying laying them out on the actual vehicle like the attached image. I use illustrator to do this and it is a very time consuming process to do multiple times. Does anybody have any tips or tricks or want to share their method of laying graphics out on a "3D" vehicle? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
-Max

Attachments

• Skidoo REV XP Graphics Kit Bolt Thrower Purple.jpg
    Skidoo REV XP Graphics Kit Bolt Thrower Purple.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Ski-Doo Rev XS MXZ Renegade 2013 Graphics Kit CX Y.jpg
    Ski-Doo Rev XS MXZ Renegade 2013 Graphics Kit CX Y.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 129

myront

CorelDRAW is best
photos such as the "yellow" one are easier to work with. We don't use templates for the simple fact that they are way too generic. Nor do we use "angled" shots.
Trace the basic shape as a clipping mask. I also like to mimic any highlights and/or shadows as a transparent overlay. Any sections not to be wrapped are cut out and brought to the front. Then again I don't use "killustrator". lol

attachment.php

Attachments

• truck wrap.jpg
    truck wrap.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 199

max86

Depending on the design I either use a picture or outline templates in illustrator for vehicles, but for the most part those aren't too difficult. These are a couple samples I have done with the snowmobile and dirtbikes. Just looking for a quicker way to do the layout, as I have multiple designs to layout.

Attachments

• DirtbikeLayout.jpg
    DirtbikeLayout.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 128
  • SledLayout.jpg
    SledLayout.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 107

ams

Takes about 20 minutes to trace out a vehicle in Corel Draw. Illustrator is one of the most complex and hardest programs to use.

max86

Takes about 20 minutes to trace out a vehicle in Corel Draw. Illustrator is one of the most complex and hardest programs to use.

Been working with Illustrator for years, if you know what your doing a basic vehicle should take no more than 5 min to set up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Considering what you said, upon your opening statement vs. to now, only a 5 minute project...... isn't this kinda nil in the grand scheme of things ??

max86

Considering what you said, upon your opening statement vs. to now, only a 5 minute project...... isn't this kinda nil in the grand scheme of things ??

Basic side shots are what I was referring to as simple, what I am looking for adivce on is something more "3D" and real looking rather than your basic image.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Basic side shots are what I was referring to as simple, what I am looking for adivce on is something more "3D" and real looking rather than your basic image.

In reality..... most people don't care about the cover of the book, but what's inside it. With realistic renderings, you are only going to appeal to other designers and whatever, but your real customers are gonna buy from you whether you have a Rembrandt out there or a Warner's Bros cartoon..... or just stick figures. It's a shame, but the bottom dollar is what most people are heeding to these days.

reQ

Did couple of these proofs only because customer wanted to see them. The way i did them might not be the best but i don't do it to often so it works for me.

1) Create a folder & export your design in template as individual pieces
2) Take the picture of a sled to photoshop
3) Import all pieces there & start fitting them in place + use warp tool when needed.

It looks nice but time consuming & with all wraps i sold like i mentioned i did it only couple times. Most people know how it will look like once they see the template