• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rear window Perf install tips

trakers

Been struggling installing rear window perf by myself.

You guys got any tips you can offer?

When installing alone do you normally center hinge?

Pat Whatley

I always center hinge. The biggest help I've found is slit the backing before you ever even take it outside. Line it up, tape it like normal, then peel and stick.

Slitting it ahead of time saves me because for some reason I tend to stretch perf when I try to cut it while it's hanging.

Also, make sure you clean, clean and clean again where the molding meets the glass.

"Deposit Please"

I also center hinge. I apply the side that doesn't have the wiper first. Slit. then I take off most of the backing on my first half, but leave just a little on the edge for more control to taut or the perf will just be too flimsy. Hope this helps

trakers

What you fellas are saying is what I was thinking. I guess I just need to practice slitting the backer some more. I'm always afraid I'll go to deep and slit the perf as well.

Thanks.

AUTO-FX

try one of those 3M giftwrap cutter things.has a blade with a little plastic guard. i got mine at w mart.

phototec

"C" motion

I squeegee in a "C" motion...a little trick I learned at a wrap seminar. Works great and you generally don't get any bubbles.
QUOTE]

Pat, can you explain a little more detail about squeegee in a "C" motion, I don't understand exactly what you mean.

Thanks

zapblam

Removing the wiper arm helps, and on most cars the wiper grommet comes out also. 1 nut (10mm,11mm,or 12mm) and a pair of channel locks to pop arm off.

Its the top spoilers that hang way over the window that give me a lot of grief.

trakers

After racking my brain figuring a good way to slit the backing without nicking the vinyl, I'll bet a vinyl cutter blade assy would work great since you could micro-adjust the cut depth. Genuine Graphtecs are *way* to high to do that with, but looks like FleaBay has knockoffs that would work well.

Seems like a good idea, I'll let you know how it works.