• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

recalibration question

jaybeeb

Hi there, hoping some of you gurus might be able to help me with a question.

We've been using PosterShop Version X10 with our VS-540 for a year and recently had a head change. Since the change, the color shifted and the output is darker.

I'm assuming we need to run a recalibration in Onyx, something we've never done because we've never had any color issues.

From what I can determine we need a spectrodensitometer device to do this. My question is, what is the least expensive device that will allow us to make the calibration? I am not interested in making my own profiles, I just want to run the calibration and get the color back to what it was before.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Jonathan

hansman

You can try to pick up a older model Xrite DTP41 or similar device that just reads a strip at a time. You will need to manually feed these in. Generally speaking these will read 12 patches at a time. The newer automatic models scan an entire 8.5 x 11 in a few seconds.
I just checked, the models you want are black in color, and run a few hundred bucks. The tan models are earlier and may not be compatible with your version of Onyx.
For re-linearizion this will be fine. After a head change or ink swap these are a necessity...........

After a while you will see the value of the newer automatic versions!

ryanobeirne

Unless you had printed a calibration target before you put in the new head, you will never be able to get the calibration back to where it was. You can get it back to a known state, but there is no way to tell what the old state was. If you are using stock profiles and configurations, there's no telling what was going on. Those stock profiles are calibrated to a bunch of averages that have nothing to do with your printer in particular. For consistent, predictable color, you really need to build your own profiles. Every device is different, and no stock profile can know what state yours is in.

The X-Rite i1 is probably the most ubiquitous spectrophotometer out there, and you can usually find one on eBay for a couple hundred dollars. The DTP41 is good too, and it is usually cheaper but not as versatile as the i1. You can do recalibrations with either in Onyx, and depending on what licensing options you have in Onyx, you can build profiles too. If you don't have that licensing option, you'll have to purchase another software for building the ICC profile.

By the way, the DTP41 will scan way more than 12 patches in a row. I think you can go up to at least 40 or 50 inches of continuous patches.

If you end up purchasing something used make sure it is compatible with your operating system. I have a DTP70 and it is a great device, but I upgraded my Onyx workstation to Windows 8 and now the DTP70 doesn't work because there are no drivers for Windows 8. (The DTP70 is discontinued now). Probably your best bet is to find a used 1One, only problem with used is you don't know how well it was taken care of. I send my iOne to have it re-certified every year and XRite charges about $250 if my memory serves me correctly.