• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

recommendations on equipment

jjjjjgrant

Hi, i'm new here from georgia, have dabbled in the business before and i'm doing some homework on buying some equipment, we are starting small with basic sign lettering, window decals etc. basically going to car shows, races and craft shows. i have been looking for used equipment or a business selling out, but i'm not sure if it wouldn't be wiser to buy new equipment. i'm looking at two used pcs now, #1 graphtec ce5000-120 with the computer , 10 plus rolls of vinyl, a couple of programs for clip art, 100+ car tags, several yard signs, magnetic sign material, 100's of already printed car back window decals and a lay out table. unit is a couple of years old. asking price is $4,000.00 for it all #2 a friend has a barely used 2 year old graphtec fc7000-?? 42" he only used it for cutting numbers for their race car, also has about 10 rolls of vinyl, a box of corrugated yard signs, a new roll of banner material, a new roll of magnetic material, a couple of programs, he does not have a computer with it and he wants $4,000.00 are either one of these worth it and which one would be the better deal?? i haven't made any offers yet. problem i'm struggling with is signwarehouse has a new fc8000-100 for $5,099 and a new ce5000-120 for 3,599.00 the new ones don't come with many extras, but i'm thinking new with the warranty may be the smarter way to go. what do you guys think??? I know some of you will say this equipment is overkill for my intentions, but i would like to be prepared for anything that comes up, and i'd like to have good stuff to start with, not really sure why i'm stuck on the graphtec, its just the name i keep hearing about.

Thanks, jeff

Last edited:

chopper

they seem like a decent deal but it would depend on the software that comes with the stuff.. what I mean is the design program..

//chopper

jjjjjgrant

i don't recall the names of any of the programs my friend has, i need to get an itemized list of what both of them have. i know he has a couple of cd's with thousands of clip art, he had one program that has every vehicle in it up to 2007, to design and size graphics. a couple of more, but like i said i just need to get an itemized list, he talked about paying 5-600.00 for some of the programs, but you know how that goes, the same programs he has could probably be bought for 20.00 now the way they change and update every year.

dman0427

Professional sign sofware would actually range in the thousands of dollars range.
There are drivers for using illustrator and corel draw to cut to the plotter.
The deal that comes with the computer work table & materials would seem like the better deal IMO. A 2 yr old graphtec should still have a lot of life left in it. How wide is the ce5000?